William Joseph Darcy was born on February 4, 1879 in Ireland to Michael & Katherine (Donohue) Darcy. He came to the United States in 1900. He began his photographic career in Barnesville, Minnesota. On February 4, 1903 he married Evalyn (last name unknown), the couple had three children, Catherine, William and Michael. About 1915, Mr. Darcy moved to the Fargo where he was employed by C. E. Reed. He was working in Fargo as an amature photographer at the time of his divorce to Evalyn, in 1917. The city directory for 1917, listed him as kodak finisher at 103 Roberts Street. In 1919, he appears in the Moorhead city directory. His Moorhead studio and residence was located at 114 First Avenue North.
Sometime after 1920 he moved his studio to 518 Front Street in Fargo where he is found listed in the 1924 Fargo city directory. In 1922, he was married to Cora Williams, and they had two children, Mary and Margaret. Sometime after 1925 he moved to Minneapolis, where he worked as a photographer for Lowry Studio on Hennepin Avenue. He died at Glen Lake Sanatorium in Minnetonka, Minnesota on January 30, 1945 of pulmonary tuberculosis. He was 65 years old.