Little is known of John J. Freeman. He opened his studio in the Edwards Block on September 7, 1903. The studio on the third floor was built especially to Mr. Freeman's plans. In 1905 his wife operated the studio. According to the city directories, the Freemans were living in Grand Forks, and John A. Hubertz managed the studio. Mr. Freeman died around 1905, and the studio was taken over by James S. Drysdale.