German Mennonites From the Steppes of Ukraine
in 1874 to Homesteading in Kansas in 1906
Homesteading in Meade County, Kansas
Zielke, Vern and Alma Regier. "German Mennonites From the Steppes of Ukraine in 1874 to Homesteading in Kansas in 1906 Homesteading in Meade County, Kansas." Dodge City Daily Globe, 6 February 2004.
Meade County, Kansas......Most of us in Meade County have Mennonite
friends or acquaintances, but few of us know very much about their
history, culture or theology. Increasingly, the Mennonites, too,
have an incomplete understanding of their own background.
Alma Classen Regier, a retired teacher whose grandparents were among
the original settlers of the Mennonite community, has been collecting
anecdotes, documents and artifacts to support a written history.
Alma asked Vern Zielke, also a Mennonite Meade County native, to
use some of this information to write a brief summary of the community's
history for the Kansas Heritage Project at Fort Hays State University
Vern, too, is retired teacher. He taught music at the Meade Bible
Academy and later at Kinsley and Fairfield/Langdon.
The following article is the result of Alma Regier's research and
was written by Vern Zielke:
The earliest Mennonite settlers arrived in Meade County in 1906.
These settlers were members of the Kleine Gemeinde Church. They
were part of a rather large group of immigrants who came from the
steppes of Ukraine to North America in 1874 and 1875, seeking religious
freedom and finding a welcome in the United States and Canada.
German was their first language and the "Plautdietsch"
or Low German served as their "everyday" language. Those
who settled in Meade County had settled first in the area around
Jansen and Fairbury, Neb. As their families grew and land became
scarce, they began to look for alternatives.
Martin T. Doerksen from Inman, a land agent, was influential in
bringing the new settlers to Meade County from Nebraska. The first
families arrived in 1906 and others soon followed. They came to
Meade County when it was open prairie.
There were no roads, and cattle from the ranches had free range.
Cattlemen, seeing that they would have to give up the free range,
did not offer encouragement. Others had attempted to settle this
area, but none had been successful.
In 1907 people began to move in larger groups, and soon most of
the Kleine Gemeinde congregation from Jansen had been transplanted.
They came by train and chose to settle first in an area about twenty
miles southeast of the town of Meade.
This part of Meade County was known for years as the "darp"
or settlement. About a dozen new Mennonite settlers purchased about
six sections on April 27, 1907, from C.R. Fullington and George
Theis, with Martin Doerksen's assistance.
The shaded area on the map (http://www.fhsu.edu/forsyth_lib/ksheritage/meademap.shtml)
identifies these original six sections. Mr. Doerksen gave his one-quarter
section of ground at Inman as a down payment for his land in Meade
County. As more families moved into this community, it expanded.
Church families were spread out to the extent that the Kleine Gemeinde
congregation eventually built two church buildings, one in the "darp"
and the other farther north. Other Mennonites also moved into the
county, some arriving as early as 1907. This group also had roots
in South Russia [now Ukraine in the area around Odessa] and most
of them were members of the General Conference Mennonite Church.
Many of them came from families that had originally settled in Central
Kansas, and many had relatives in the Kleine Gemeinde congregation.
They also spoke German and Plautdietsch, but were generally more
liberal both in theology and practice than their Kleine Gemeinde
They settled on farms southeast of Meade, and as the community expanded
it stretched from north to south for more than twenty miles. Churches
and schools were organized. The Pleasant Hill School district was
formed in 1908 and this building was also used as a church building
until 1921. The church was organized in 1910 and named Bruderthal.
In 1936 they changed the name to Evangelical Mennonite Brethren.
Another General Conference group formed a church known as the Nebo
Church in 1917 and these two congregations merged in 1930. The Kleine
Gemeinde congregation dissolved in 1942/43 and the south church
was closed. In 1949 this building was moved to the Meade Bible Academy
In 1968 Meade County 4-H Club members raised $1000 to pay the expenses
of moving the building to the Meade County Fairgrounds. Services
were continued in the north church, and those who worshiped there
formed the Emmanuel Mennonite Church in 1944. This building was
remodeled and served the congregation for many years until they
moved into a new brick building in the city of Meade in 1966. This
church is not affiliated with any conference.
True to their traditions, these Mennonites lived a rather exclusive
lifestyle. For many years they pretty much controlled the district
schools, and had their own high school, the Meade Bible Academy.
School consolidation took its toll in the 1950's and '60's, and
the country schools that dotted the landscape closed one by one.
The Mennonite children became integrated into the Meade public schools
and the Academy closed in August of 1966. The number of Mennonite
farmsteads has decreased and people of non-Mennonite background
occupy many of those that remain. The early settlers were truly
pioneers. They found ways to tame the prairie, and their determination
to persevere resulted in a measure of prosperity for many of them.
Some chose to leave the community during the depression years, moving
west to California and Oregon. Many of the descendants of the original
settlers still reside in Meade County, and their contribution to
the community honors the legacy of these brave pioneers.
|Wheat field 1910 real photo postcard
from Meade County, Kansas is from the private collection of
E. Morgan Williams.
Reprinted with permission of the Dodge City Daily Globe.
to use any images from the GRHC website may be requested
by contacting Michael