St. Andrew's Catholic Church of Zeeland Will Celebrate
its Centennial This Weekend
"St. Andrew's Catholic Church of Zeeland Will Celebrate its Centennial This Weekend." Ashley Tribune, 22 June 2005, 1.
The celebration will acknowledge the spiritual heritage of
Church, which was built in 1888. The church was the first Catholic
in North Dakota and was established to serve German-Russian Immigrants.
There will be a field Mass at the site of St. John the Baptist Church
7:30 p.m. Friday, followed by an eucharistic procession to St. Andrew's
Main Street of Zeeland.
In the late 1890s and early 1900s it served Catholics throughout
County, as well as those in southern Emmons and Logan counties.
St. Andrew's was built in 1905, soon after Zeeland was established.
1971, St. John's was consolidated with St. Andrew's Catholic Church.
Fr. Stephen Stenger, pastor of St. John's, directed the building
Andrew's Church in Zeeland. The new church was blessed on Nov. 30,
A rectory was built in 1906 and Fr. Landolt became the first resident
pastor in 1908.
The old frame church was expanded in 1949, doubling the seating
In 1991, under the direction of Fr. Skarohlid, a new church and
hall were built. In 2003, St. Andrew's became a mission of St. Patricks,
A blessing of the new St. Andrew's Cemetery Gate will be held at
Saturday at the cemetery, one and one-half miles southeast of Zeeland,
followed by other events at the St. Andrew's Catholic Parish Hall
church. The celebration of the Centennial Mass will be held at 10:30
Sunday at St. Andrew's Catholic Church in Zeeland.
Reprinted with permission of the Ashley Tribune.