[breadcrumb]

The Zion United Methodist Church of Kulm

"The Zion United Methodist Church of Kulm." Kulm Messenger, 28 February 2007, 1.


The Zion United Methodist Church of Kulm celebrates 100 years as a church in Kulm on June 24, 2007. This monthly article honors the memory of the Pastors who shepherded the congregation and achievements during their service.

1889 – 1894 - Ashley Mission pastor Reverend H. Loewen.
1894 – 1895 - Reverend Ira E. Herzberg
1895 – 1896 - Reverend George Hoff
1896 – 1900 - Reverend R. E. Strutz
1900 – 1903 – Reverend Brockmueller Assistant Reverend R. Bloedau
1903 – 1904 – Reverend Brockmueller Assistant Reverend G. C. Thiele
1904 – 1906 - Reverend C. E. Oeder
1906 – 1912 – Reverend G. C. Thiele the first resident pastor, Kulm Mission begins
1912 – 1913 – Reverend G. Heur
1913 – 1914 – Reverend H. Nuetzman
1914 – 1915 – Reverend A. Oertle
1915 – 1916 – Reverend R. Tammen
1916 – 1917 – Reverend A. Rux
1917 – 1919 – Reverend O. W. Ferk
1919 – 1921 - Supply Pastor, Reverend G. C. Thiele
1921 – 1922 – Reverend G. Duebendorf
1922 – 1923 – Supply Pastors
1923 – 1930 – Reverend A. Gehring
1930 – 1931 – Reverend F. W. Agte
1931 – 1936 – Reverend O. Felberg – even though these were depression years, much
work was completed on the church and parsonage
1936 – 1939 – Reverend O. Gehring, son of Rev. A. Gehring
1939 – 1940 – Reverend J. J. Schroder
1940 – 1945 – Reverend C. E. Bach
1945 – 1948 - Reverend J. M. Burkhard
1948 – 1952 – Reverend L. H. Buechler, started preaching services all in English. An addition was built on to the west giving us a new chancel and several Sunday school rooms.
1952 – 1953 – Reverend R. Gums
1953 – 1961 – Reverend C. Knoepfle – the church was remodeled to the east adding a new tower, nursery, cloak room and two Sunday school rooms.
1961 – 1962 – Reverend E. J. Barreth
1962 – 1964 – Reverend V. Hass – pews, pulpit and organ were added during his tenure
1964 – 1965 – Reverend L. Miller
1965 – 1966 – Reverend W. Janetzke
1966 – 1969 – Mr. D. Boe served while in college – 1968 we changed our name to Zion United Methodist church. In 1969 became the Kulm-Jud charge
1969 – 1973 – Reverend G. Piehl
1973 – 1978 – Reverend P. Dyes – He was killed in an accident on August 21, 1978
1978 – 1979 – Reverend P. Lint from Wesley U.M.C. performed services
1979 – 1980 – Reverend D. Goold – He retired due to failing health
1980 – 1984 - Reverend C. Neilsen
1984 - 1986 - Reverend Rick Fossom
1987 – 2000 – Reverend Bruce Adams, served the Kulm / Jud charge and then served
the Edgeley / Kulm charge
1996 Changed to Edgeley / Kulm charge
2000 – 2004 – Reverend Dale Emory – He retired due to failing health
2004 – 2006 – Reverend Russ Whaley
2006 – Present – Reverend Ken Ballard

The church recognizes these men as the shepherds but recognized that the members and friends of the church serve daily as the ministers to the people.

Pastor Ken, wife Joyce, and son Robert live in the parsonage in Edgeley. Robert enjoys football, music, playing the trombone, and driving around town. Last summer he went to Edinburgh, Scotland with the Wyoming All State Marching band to watch the Tattoo and march in the Tattoo parade. Joyce is a homemaker and substitute teacher in Edgeley. Her interests include sewing, cooking, agriculture, financial management, and learning new things daily. Ken enjoys hunting, fishing, gunsmithing, working with wood and outdoor activities.

Pastor Ballard began his call to ministry in December, 1999. His first charge was in Kemmerer, Wyoming. He began attending Saint Paul’s School of Theology summer of 2001. He served the Riverton / Pavillion charge in Wyoming. He was the associate of the Riverton U.M.C. and the Pastor to the Pavillion congregation. He came to the Kulm / Edgeley charge in August of 2006 following the family trip to Scotland. He is Vice-President of the Kulm Ministerial Association. He is also a member of the JAM team a group of Methodist Pastors that recently returned from College for Pastoral Leaders in Austin, Texas for a Pastoral conference.

Reprinted with permission from The Kulm Messenger.


Permission to use any images from the GRHC website may be requested by contacting Michael M. Miller
North Dakota State University Libraries
Germans from Russia Heritage Collection
Libraries
NDSU Dept #2080
PO Box 6050
Fargo, ND 58108-6050
Tel: 701-231-8416
Fax: 701-231-6128
Last Updated:
Director: Michael M. Miller
North Dakota State University Library North Dakota State University North Dakota State University GRHC Home