Miller, Melita (Schall) born at Selz, Kutschurgan District, South Russia (today near Odessa, Ukraine)
Text permission of Mary Ann Miller, Yakima, Washington, July 2012
Melita Miller (Schall) was born in Selz, Russia on Nov. 15th, 1926. Her sister Ida Schall is not married and was born on Jan. 14th, 1932. Her sister Emile Paul (last name is Paul) was born on Oct. 14th, 1928. Emilie Paul is married to Kolja (Nicholaus) Paul who was born on Jan. 7th, 1929. These three were all born in Russia. They live in Chemnitz, Germany. The city of Chemnitz used to be called Karl Marx Stadt during the time when the Communists were in control of East Germany. Emilie’s husband’s formal name is Nicholaus, but they call him Kolja.
Emilie and Kolja Paul's three children are:
1. Alexander (Sasha) Paul who was born on March 11, 1953. Alexander is married to Soni Paul who was born on Aug. 13, 1954. Alexander and Soni Paul have two children who are Robert Paul, born on Jan. 13, 1984 and Michael Paul, born on Nov. 17, 1981. They call Alexander by the nickname of Sasha.
2. Melita Siegal who was born on March 11, 1954. She is married to Frank Siegal born March 18, 1953. They have a son named Dennis Siegal who was born on March 16, 1979 and he died in a car accident about 5 years ago.
3. Ira Kalweit who was born on July 27, 1956. She is married to Detlef Kalweit, born on August 12, but we don't know what year. They have a son named Thomas Kalweit, born April 16, 1983.
These all live in Chemnitz, Germany.
All of these children and grandchildren were born in Germany.
Melita Miller's parents are her mother Eva Schall (Zerr) born July 30, 1902 in Selz, Russia and she died on Dec 30, 1986 in Chemnitz, Germany; and Melita’s father was Pius Schall born March 23, 1899 in Selz, Russia and he died on August 27, 1965 in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada, he died from pancreatic cancer but he is buried in Yakima, Washington. Pius and Eva Schall were married on Nov. 4th, 1924 in Selz, Russia. Eva Schall (Zerr)'s parents were mother Margaret Stolz, born 1874, died 1942, and father Wendelen Zerr, born 1877, died 1946. Pius Schall's parents were mother Francisca Feller born 1873, died 1933, and father Sebastian Schall born 1870, died 1935.
Sebastian Schall's father was Xaver Schall. Xaver Schall's father was Jacob Schall who was from Kaidenburg, Alsace, in Germany and Jacob Schall in 1840 left Kaidenburg, Germany and immigrated to Selz, Russia from Germany.
Melita Miller’s mother Eva Schall (Zerr) had the following sisters and brothers:
1. Helena Scherr and her husband Anton and they both died in Siberia. They had children named Otto and Amalia.
Katherina Jundt and her husband Franz and they both died in Germany. They had children named Maria, Rafael, Viktoria, and Maria. Viktoria died in Germany.
Magdalena Kiefel died in Siberia, and her husband Rochus lives in Germany. They had two children.
Karolina Zerr who was single, died in Siberia.
Barbara died in Siberia and also her husband Remigius Wolf, they had no children.
Brother Josef and his wife Marianna died in Siberia, their child Otto is in Russia and their child Eugen is in Germany.
Melita Miller’s father Pius Schall had the following brothers and sisters:
1. Joseph Schall, born in 1893 in Selz, Russia.
Anton Schall, born in 1895 in Selz, Russia.
Johannes, born in Selz, Russia.
Katherina, born in Selz, Russia.
Carolina Fetsch, born in Selz, Russia.
Melita Miller also had a relative in Yakima, Washington named “Aunt” Margaret Weissbeck. She wasn’t really Melita’s aunt, she was a second cousin of Melita’s father Pius Schall. Margaret’s first husband had the last name of Stover, then he died. Then Margaret married her second husband who was Peter Essig. Margaret was born on March 17, 1887 in Selz, Russia and she died on Feb. 7, 1961 in Yakima. Her husband Peter Essig was born on Aug. 8, 1878 in Hungary and he died on Feb. 2, 1961 in Yakima. Margaret and her husband Peter died within one week of each other in 1961 in Yakima, Washington.
Margaret Weissbeck’s parents were Franz Joseph Weissbeck who was born in 1861 in Selz, Russia and died Nov. 1, 1918 in Vibank, Saskatchewan, Canada, and he was the son of Valentine Weissbeck and Margaretha Welk. Margaret Weissbeck’s mother was Elizabeth Schall who was born in 1864 in Selz, Russia and died on Sept. 15, 1908 in Vibank, Saskatchewan, Canada. Franz and Elizabeth Weissbeck were married in 1883 in Selz, Russia.
The brothers and sisters of Margaret Weissbeck were as follows:
Regina Weissbeck, born Sept. 6, 1884 in Selz, Russia; died Oct. 16, 1967 in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada.
Appolonia Weissbeck, born May 4, 1889 in Selz, Russia; died July 25, 1928 in Yakima, Washington.
Anton Weissbeck, born Feb. 25, 1893 in Selz, Russia.
Barbara Weissbeck, born May 25, 1895 in Selz, Russia; died July 16, 1956 in Leader, Saskatchewan, Canada.
John Weissbeck, born Jan. 1, 1901 in Selz, Russia; died Dec. 24, 1976 in Qu’Appelle, Saskatchewan, Canada. Farmed, later opened blacksmith shop. Later garage, car, and farm implements dealership. Died of injury suffered from car accident.
Joseph Weissbeck, born April 20, 1904 in Qu’Applle, Saskatchewan, Canada; died April 28, 1973
The famous American band leader Lawrence Welk’s parents came from Selz, Russia to Strasburg, North Dakota in 1893. Lawrence Welk’s parent’s names were Ludwig and Christina Welk.
For Balzer Miller's family:
1. Balzer has a brother named Karl Wilhelm and his wife Klara and they have two children named Rosa and Josef and they live in Friedrichshafen, Germany.
2. Balzer has a sister named Rosa Wilhelm who has a daugher named Rosa and the daughter Rosa has two sons named August and Alexander and they live in Pforzheim, Germany.
3. Balzer has a sister named Lydia Becker and her husband was named George and she has a daughter named Maria Konig and a son named Adam Becker and they live in Pforzheim, Germany.
4. Balzer has a brother named Pius Miller and his wife Regina but they both died already in Pforzheim. They have a son named Pius Miller who is named after his father Pius, and this son Pius is married to his wife Hilda and they have children named Victoria and Eduart and they live in Pforzheim, Germany, and this son Pius Miller was born on the wagon train road when they had to leave Russia to go to Germany during WWII. Also, the father Pius and Regina Miller have another son named Leopold Miller and his wife is Anna and they have children named Helen and Joseph.
5. Balzer had a brother Jacob Miller who died in the WWII and he is buried in Austria.
6. Balzer had two brothers named Stanislaus and Aloisius who died when they were little children in Russia.
Balzer Miller was born on March 19, 1921 in Mannheim, Russia and he died on Oct 22, 1999 from kidney failure and prostate cancer in Yakima, Washington. Balzer’s full name is Balthasar Leopold Miller. In Europe our last name of Miller is spelled Muller with two dots over the letter u, which dots are called an Umlaut in German.
Balzer Miller's mother's name was Katherina Heinrich and her parents names were Peter Heinrich and his wife, who's name we don't know but we know her last name was Hoffert. Balzer's mother Katherina died in Karaganda, Russia in 1976, after being sent back there from Germany after WWII, following Josef Stalin's repatriation orders. Balzer Miller's father was Leopold Miller and he died in Archalgelsk, Russia after being sent there by Josef Stalin's policies. Leopold Miller's mother was Magdelana Eberle and Leopold's father was Karl Miller. Karl Miller had the following brothers and sisters: Englebert, Marianna, Dominic, Leopold, Anton, Jacob, Luisa, and Joseph. Karl Miller's father was Joseph Miller. Joseph Miller was married to Katharina Dexheimer, and she was born in 1824 or 1830 and she died in 1880. Joseph Miller’s father was Christopher Miller. Christopher Miller was from Reichenbach, Karlsruhe, Germany in the county of Baden and he immigrated to Mannheim, Russia and he arrived there in Russia on August 1, 1808. Christopher’s wife’s name was Katharina, age 43 years in 1808, and their children were Ignatz age 14, Anton age 4, Christopher age 3, Joseph age 2 ½ , Barbara age 18, and Katharina age 6, all the ages are for in the year 1808.
Balzer Miller’s mother Katherina Heinrich had the following brothers and sisters: Peter, Pius, Franz, Andreaus, Karlina, Jacob, George, and another sister we don’t know the name of her.
Balzer Miller’s father Leopold Miller had the following brothers and sisters: Katherina, Magdelane, Marianne, Ignatz
Balzer and Melita Miller were married on Jan. 2, 1952 in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada. They had children as follows:
1. Linda Marie Miller born Dec. 1, 1952
2. Rose Marie Miller born Feb. 25, 1956
3. Michael Joseph Miller born Oct. 3, 1963 and died Nov. 2, 1965 from water on the brain.
4. Mary Ann Miller born Feb. 11, 1967.
These four children of Balzer and Melita were all born at St. Elizabeth’s Hospital in Yakima, Washington.
Linda married Jim Doriss on Aug. 9, 1975 at St. Paul’s Cathedral in Yakima, Washington. They have two children, Kristi Michelle Doriss who was born on Dec. 9, 1981 and Kevin James Doriss who was born on Aug. 13, 1985 and they were both born at Tuality Community Hospital in Hillsboro, Oregon.