Ferdinand C. and Caroline
M. (Frison) Keller
Glencross, South Dakota, 1928 Village Blacksmith
1905-2005 Centennial Celebration
An important aspect of the spiritual life of the German-Russians is
their belief that there is a life after death.
The word “Friedhof” in German was a term that they
used when referring to the cemetery. To them, the word carried a
special feeling of endearment. They felt it was not simply a place
to bury or be buried - - - it was a place to be at rest with God.
Iron Spirits Nicholas Curchin
Robert (Bobby) L. Tedy designed, engineered and fabricated this
iron cross as a gift to his wife, Marcia A. Tedy, for her fifty-seventh
This beautiful hand crafted iron cross will be blessed and placed
at Ferdinand, and his wife, Caroline M. (Frison)’s grave,
in Glencross, SD, during their family reunion celebration marking
the Keller/Frison Centennial which will be held this July 15-16,
2005 in Mobridge, SD. Event arrangements are being handled by descendants
of the late Louis J. Keller family of Mobridge, SD.
The Iron Spirit is designed of curved scrolls depicting hearts
and diamonds. The hearts symbolize their undying love for God and
family. The diamonds represent the ever shining light into which
they have entered --- a place of eternal rest with God.
The cross measures 5’ (feet) 10” (inches) high and
is 4’ (feet) wide. Bobby used over 70’ (feet) of strap
iron and devoted a sum of thirty-two hours into its making. It weighs
||Stainless steel plate marking
the cross on the grave of Ferdinand C. and Caroline M. (Frison)
Keller in Glencross, South Dakota. Came to America in 1905 from
Selz, Russia, Kutschurgan District, South Russia
||Iron Cross placed on the grave of Ferdinand
C. and Caroline M. (Frison) Keller. Came to America from Selz,
Russia in 1905-2005
||Glencross, South Dakota. Iron Cross
placed at the grave of Ferdinand C. and Caroline M. (Frison)
Keller in honor of their family centennial celebration. They
came to America in 1905-2005 from Selz, Russia.
To join in the effort, Albert Frei and Sons, the great grandchildren
of Ferdinand C. and Caroline M. Keller, donated the materials and
ship facilities to help make this Keller cross a reality. Taking
care of business, George H. Keller, a grandson and resident of Mobridge,
SD, drove his truck to Denver, CO and then transported the cross
back to Mobridge on his return trip home.
All in all, it is our way of saying “thank you” for
a legacy of love tendered with precious memories, food, fun and
most of all for the example our ancestors showed each of us in their
daily living. We honor them! We are truly blessed to be a part of
By Marcia A. (Wellner) Tedy
Photographs by Marcia (Wellner) Tedy, Brighton, Colorado,