“Pictured…is the well near Turtle Lake, McLean county, from which water will be pumped to irrigate 25 acres of land on the A.L. Maxwell farm. In the foreground, left to right, are Louis Rasmussen and Robert Maxwell, who have been digging the well under the supervision of the North Dakota Water Conservation commission. In the foreground – the ladder leading to its bottom – is the site of the first well, dug for this purpose a quarter of a century ago but later abandoned”.
Bismarck Tribune, November 13, 1937; p. 1