Post-1940 Times in Hoffnungfeld/Nadyeshdovka - Part II
Paul, Helmut, "Post-1940 Times in Hoffnungfeld/Nadyeshdovka - Part II." Mitteilungsblatt, November 2009, 20-21.Translation from the Original German-language text to American English provided by Alex Herzog, Boulder, Colorado
Club and Cultural House (formerly the Lutheran church)
The new Orthodox church; right: the Pop’s home; left: village administrative offices.
The newly constructed orthodox church.
On of the outcomes of a get-together of homeland communities in April 2008 – dedicated to the topic “The time when the Germans were gone” – was an admonishment by Professor Sigmund Ziebart, that travelers to Bessarabia, might attempt to collect information from the remaining contemporary eye witnesses, that they write down any results and perhaps even publish them eventually. Thus far excerpts from reports on Alexanderfeld and Dennewitz have been published.
Administrative Set-ups in Nadyeshdovka. On January 12, 1949, a village council was established in the village of Nadyeshdovka. This made it possible to solve at a local level all matters regarding the lives of the people and the life of the village. But in 1952 only a single village soviet was established to cover three villages of Vinogradovka, Nadyeshdovka and Plotzk, so that villagers would have to travel to a neighboring village for their concerns, at increased cost and requiring more time. And that is how it remained for many years until, in 1992; a village council was once again set up in Nadyeshdovka. Belaya Irina Alexandrovna was elected for a third straight term.
Medical care was provided by a clinic with physician’s assistants and midwives, which began it services on May 24, 1946.
During the era of persecution, deportation, and Soviet rule, religious and spiritual life was driven out of the people’s heads. Until 1995 there had not been any religious services in the village. The older people might go to pray in the neighboring village of Spasskoye, but even there the actual church building had been closed for a long time. For several years the Vinogradovsk church housed a museum on village history.
In 1953 the tower of the Lutheran church in Nadyeshdovka was removed, and the building was renovated as a village club house. The club itself had existed from August 6, 1946, and had initially been housed in one of the [formerly] German homes. The villagers welcomed all the cultural offerings, as they did a library that was accessible for anyone interested.
Nadyeshdovka Today. Living in Nadyeshdovka today are more than 700 people of ten different nationalities (Ukrainians, Russians, White Russians, Moldovans, Gagaus, Azerbaijani, Jews, Germans, Tadjiks, and Bulgarians). The majority of the population works for the “Champagne of Ukraine” company and earns regular pay.
Since 1987, Bratinov Ignat Vasilyevich has been running the sovchos [state-run collective]. We have already mentioned the wine making area. There is also a well-developed grain department, as well as the best animal breeding operation of the entire district. A large vegetable garden is also operated annually.
The processing department is also making progress: the mill is operating, as are a bakery, an oil factory, an oil mill, a canning operation, and a construction center. A sausage processing and canning operation is in the works. The local cooperative houses a productive motor vehicle garage and two tractor brigades.
Part of a successful social and educational operation for the youngest generation is a kindergarten for 150 and a middle school for 250 pupils. There are apartments for seasonal workers and well-furnished guest rooms for travelers.
Many villagers (children and seniors) partake annually in recreation activities in a sovchos-owned camp on the Black Sea coast.
All main entrance roads and the streets in Nadyeshdovka are now paved. In the center of the village, next to the cultural house (the former church), there is a memorial stone in memory of the former German settlers. Next to it is a park-like area with two wells. Another memorial reminds people of village residents killed in war-time air battles.
The year 1995 saw the groundbreaking and start of construction of an Orthodox church, dedicated to the icon of the Kasan Madonna. Once again, church bells are ringing in Nadyeshdovka, inviting people to attend services.
Thanks to the collaboration between the village council and the champagne company, its specialists, and especially its workers and all other village residents, the village of Nadyeshdovka, generously decorated with flowers, had become a village with a well-developed infrastructure. It is a pearl not only of the Arxis district, but or the entire southern area of the Odessa region.
Chronology of the Development of the Village of Nadyeshdovka
12-10-1944. Establishment of the sovchos “Champagne of Ukraine” on village land.
1960 – 1970. Resettlers re-occupy homes, further homes are built in a newcomer zone.
1968 – 1970. Construction of a 16-family apartment building to house young families.
1975. Opening of an extension for grape growing, a mess hall for workers, and a central warehouse.
11-16-1976. Opening of a school for 360 pupils.
1979 – 1981. Construction of a 16-family apartment building.
09-01-1983. Opening of the kindergarten to house 150 children.
1984 – 1989. All streets in the village now have a firm base and tar pavement, new sidewalks are built.
1984 – 1986. Construction and opening of an administration building.
1991. A guest house is opened.
1993. Construction is started for a canning operation.
1994. Construction and opening for business of the bakery.
1995. Construction of the new tractor brigade, and improvement sin water pipelines.
1995 – 1997. Construction and opening of a department store.
1995 – 2002. Structure of the church.
1997. Start of construction for another wine production building.
2000. Opening of the grain mill and of the oil mill.
07-18-2002. Erecting the memorial honoring the heroes who died in air battles.
07-19-2003. Opening of the village museum.
2003. Construction of a depot and of a bridge.
[a poem, in “free-form” translation]
There is a small place on this world,
It glows like fire.
Our home village stretches out over its field.
Its extents are so vast.
Flickering like a star
And harvesting the best achievements\
It constructs many new homes,
And its boys and girls
Ascend to new heights.
Wherever our children have come,
Everywhere seeking a better life,
They hardly found better places than here.
For theirs and for God’s sake
May the years pass swiftly.
May the village become strong and powerful.
May the songs of these homes tell of the fame of
And of our own fate.
History of and Information on the Activities of the “Champagne of Ukraine” Works in the village of Nadyeshdovka of the Arzis District in the Odessa Region.
During 19the year 1944, in the village of Nadyeshdovka of the Arziskiy District in the Izmailskiy region, the sovchos “Champagne of Ukraine” was established.
In 1954, by order of the Presidium of the High Council of the USSR, the Izmailskiy Region was dissolved. The sovchos “Champagne of Ukraine” territorially became part of the Odessa Region.
On December 30, 1962, by order of the Presidium of the High Council of the USSR, the Arzis District was dissolved, making the sovchos “Champagne of Ukraine” territorially part of the Tatarbunarskiy District of the Odessa Region.
Various documents covering the years 1945 – 1955 were handed over to the branch of the District Archive in the city of Izmail (Opisi # 1-32.)
By an order of the Presidium of the High Council of the USSSR on December 8, 1966, the Arzis District was re-established, and the sovchos “Champagne of Ukraine” territorially was once again part of the Odessa Region.
By force of an order of the State Private Property Act of the Ukraine, # 19-A, on 11/03-2000, The sovchos and the entire operation of “Champagne of Ukraine” was formed into a corporation (corresponding roughly to a “Corp., Ltd.” in Europe).
The average number of employees of the “Champagne of Ukraine” corporation numbers about 420. The business specializes in “breeding” and growing of special grape vines, the production of wine must and of wine. Additionally, it includes a grain production operation, and animal breeding.
This report presents the history of the people of the former Hoffnungfeld during post-war times in only abbreviated form. However, may it contribute to greater understanding, so that the “second owners” in the former German settlements in today’s Ukraine, to their best possibilities, devote their work toward managing their everyday lives and life in general.
Our appreciation is extended to Alex Herzog for translation of this article.