Looking Down Memory Lane

Rueb, George. "Looking Down Memory Lane." Ashley Tribune, n.d.

The following story was submitted by Mrs. George Rueb of Ashley.

Friedrich Sayler, our Great-Grandfather, married Barbara Schneider, had a son named Friedrich, born May 13, 1860 in Johanesthal, South Russia; the son was our grandfather. Their homeland was Dorhstetten, Freudenstadt, Wurtenberg-bei Stuttgart, South Germany.

They migrated from Germany to South Russia in the late years of the seventeen hundreds.

Grandma to Mrs. George Rueb.  Grandma was 17 years old and her brother, Martin, sitting.

Friedrich Sayler, in the year 1883, married Barbara Ganzle, who was born in the year 1862. They had three children, Barbara, Kathrine and Jacob, before migrating to America in 1889. They left Neuzats, South Russia and came to Minno, South Dakota where they remained eight days. While they were there they purchased two horses, two oxen, two cows, a wagon and a plow, which they shipped to Eureka, South Dakota by train. The remainder of the trip was made by wagon to Eureka to pick up their belongings. They went to the place they homesteaded, which was located six miles northwest of Wishek in Logan County. They brought lumber from Minno for the roof of their sod house and also some kitchen equipment.

The children born in North Dakota were: William (father of Mrs. George Rueb) and Magdaline. Barbara (Ganzle) Sayler died at the early age of thirty-one years on December 7, 1893. They were here four years when she died, leaving Friedrich with five small children; the oldest being ten and the youngest, less than a day.

The winters were very long and cold as the fuel for the stove they used was dried manure.  The stove itself was built of stone and mud. The crops were poor. All the planting was done by hand and the plowing with a hand plow pulled by a pair of oxen. Prairie fires were not unusual and often destroyed feed for the cattle. 

One day Friedrich and his son, Jacob, went seeding and a young colt followed them. They tried chasing it home without success. The dog been chasing the colt and it ran over Mr. Sayler, stepping on his back. He had several bruises, a broken rib, and also received a blow to his head which left him unconscious for two days.

One of Mr. Sayler’s greatest joys was attending prayer meetings and revivals, which were held in the homes.

Reprinted with permission of the Ashley Tribune.

Permission to use any images from the GRHC website may be requested by contacting Michael M. Miller