If These Walls Could Talk: Present Day Eureka Plumbing & Heating Building
Grenz, Anderson & Straub. "If These Walls Could Talk: Present Day Eureka Plumbing & Heating Building." Northwest Blade, 21 July 2011, 6.
KENNEDY IMPLEMENT – HIEB & OPP IMPLEMENT– EUREKA DISTRIBUTING COMPANY – EUREKA PLUMBING & HEATING
The first business on this site was started by Edward G. and Franklin H. Kennedy in 1892 under the name of Kennedy Brothers. In 1896, Edward Kennedy took over the business, which sold John Deere Equipment and Machinery, changing the name to The Kennedy Implement Company. John N. Brundage and Gottlieb B. Stadel bought out Kennedy in 1907 and constructed the decorative block and concrete walled building with a pediment which proudly advertised "John Deere Plows." To the rear (west), there was a wooden attached building for more storage.
John J. Hieb and Henry D. Opp purchased the business in 1916. Jacob J. Weixel was a partner for five years; but in 1921, Hieb & Opp became sole owners and changed the name of the business to reflect their ownership to Heib & Opp Implement.
The building was purchased in 1963 by Sanrow Koerner who owned and operated the Eureka Distributing Company. Koerner later rented the building to Delmar Metzger (1966-1974) and Alvin Weisz, who continued in the distributing business. (Weisz built his own building and moved his distributing business to the east side of town in 1979.) The roof on the west addition to this building collapsed in 1985.
Melroy Job purchased the building in 1987 from Sanrow Koerner, and has been in business there ever since as Eureka Plumbing and Heating. From plows to plumbing, this building has served the Eureka area well in its 104 years.
The finished Kennedy Implement building with the unique John Deere Signage
The Kennedy Implement building was constructed in 1896.
The building is now owned by Melroy Job of Eureka Plumbing and Heating.
Story courtesy of the Northwest Blade, Eureka, SD.
For this story and more, please see our website at www.pridepublications.net