- Carlson, Alvar W. "German-Russian Houses in Western North Dakota." Pioneer America 13, no. 2, 1981.
- "Church Architecture." Prairies 8, no. 6: December/January 1984/1985, 31-33 [PDF ]
- "Early German-Russian Church Construction in Emmons County, North Dakota." n.d.
- Flegel, Arthur E. "Germans from Russia Housing Construction." 15 September 2005.
- "German-Russian Architechture." n.d.
- German-Russian Architecture featured at NDSU Library Lower Level Gallery. 1 March 2000
- Hinrich, Joyce. "The John Stern Homestead." Herald, 19 December 2008, 1.
- Historic American Buildings Survey: Christian Scheid House, Beulah vicinity, Mercer County, ND
- Anderson, Sadie. "History Students Participate in Restoration Project." It's Happening Today, 1 November 2007.
- Briggs, Stefanie. "A Diamond in the Rough." Dickinson Press, 22 July 2007.
- Donovan, Lauren. "Shoveling out Hutmacher." Bismarck Tribune, 22 July 2007, C1 & C10.
- Donovan, Lauren. "Sticks and Stones." Bismarck Tribune, 8 July 2007, C5.
- Grandstrand, Katherine. "Historic ND homestead in need of repairs." Forum, 1 August 2013.
- Hagen, Joel. "Layers of history." NDSU Magazine, Fall 2009.
- Preservation North Dakota Webpages
- Winistorfer, Jo Ann. "Hutmacher Complex Homestead with a History." North Dakota Living, May 2011, 38-39.
- Hutmacher Farmsite, Dunn County, North Dakota. Photographs by Michael M. Miller, 24 September 2008
- Keen, Judy. "North Dakotans Seek Salvation for Churches." USA Today, 5 November 2007.
- Klein, Jerry Jr. and Baumgartner, Antonia. "Historic Schwab sod house gets face lift." Emmons County Record, 15 December 2010, page 1 and 3.
John and Magdalena Schwab sodhouse, east of Strasburg, North Dakota
- Leingang-Renner Homestead, St. Anthony, Morton County, ND
- Marquardt, Lew. "Earthen Floors ." 2 March 2006.
- Marquardt, Lewis R. "Early German-Russian Church Construction in Emmons County (ND)." Heritage Review, no. 25, December 1979. (Permission of Heritage Review and Lewis Marquardt)
- "Off the Beaten Path: Barn Home." KFYR Television, Bismarck, North Dakota, 23 February 2014 - John Stern home near Mott, ND
- Oriega, Marcy. "Historical Fund Grant Helps Local Church Celebrate German Roots." Reporter-Herald, 5 April 2008.
- Paraskeva, Sandy. "Architecture Reflects Pioneering Cultures." Bismarck Tribune, 16 February 1982, 10A.
- "Sebastian and Magdalena (Pfaff) Hopfauf Homestead, Flasher, ND." 26 June 2003.
- Sod / Adobe House Construction
- St. Anthony's Catholic Church, Hoven, South Dakota: Last Word: Prairie Romanesque
- Summer Kitchens
- The Fred and Rose Werre Homestead, north of Lehr, North Dakota.
- Vasilenko, Vadim. "Cisterns and Draw Wells of the German Colony of Lustforf, Liebental Enclave, South Russia." n.d.
|The Hutmacher Complex northwest of Manning is a farmstead built in the late 1920s in the Russian-Ukraine stone slab method. It is now being restored by efforts through Preservation North Dakota and the State Historical Society of North Dakota.|