Information about the Karl Ludwig Tuchscherer Family

By Lena Schroh, nee Tuchscherer

Luseland, Saskatchawan

The Village of Mariahilf, named in memory of the Pilgrimage church near Lauterburg, Alsace, Germany was established by the Kutschurgan pioneers, in the fall of 1808.  The village was located on the west bank of the Baraboi River just thirty miles north-west of Odessa in southern Russia.  It was on the very busy road between Odessa and Strassburg.

One of the founding families of the village was Dionis Duchscherer and family, who had come with the other pioneers from Beinheim/Weissenburg, and Alsace, Germany.

In 1810, the village name was changed to Mannheim, because Governor de Richelieu felt the devotional tone of the name Mariahilf might offend the Czar.  The founding families were very poor, having brought with them only 2,150 Rubles in cash.  The Crown grant was 162 Rubles per family.  But by 1811, the village contained 140 draft horses, 49 oxen, 114 cows, 54 calves and 50 steers.

The first church built in 1811 was of adobe and was in use until 1819 when it was replaced with one built of fieldstone.  The resident priest was Father Oswald, a Jesuit.  He remained until June 3, 1820, when he was expelled by the Russians.

By 1816, Dionysius Duchscherer, age 27, [born in 1789] with his wife Elisabeth [born in 1793 at Beinheim, Germany] with their daughter Barbara [born 1813 at Beinheim] and daughter Johanna [born 1816 at Mannheim, South Russia] along with Dionysius’s brother Cristoph, age 33, [born in 1783] and his wife Elisabeth nee Gregory, age 24 [born in1792] and their two children Joseph [born in 1814] and Elisabeth [born 1813] arrived in Mannheim to join their older brother who had arrived there in 1808 as one of the founding families of the village. 

The land given to them by the Czar amounted to 70,587 acres divided between the 440 founding families.  By 1816, this amounted to about 25 acres each [man, woman and child] so most families had 100 acres of plow land and could make a good living.  But by 1885, the population had grown from 2,189 to 11,896 as the average family had eight children.  This divided up the land further to only 5 acres each.  Thus, the overpopulation and the scarcity and high cost of land made it necessary for some of the family members to immigrate to the new world, especially the USA and Canada.

Karl Ludwig [T] Duchscherer was one of these families.  At the age of 47 with his wife Johanna age 49 and their two young sons Franz [age 16] and Stanislus [age 10] along with their married son Ignacz [age 25] and his wife Magdalena nee Heidt [age 21] and their son Ignacz [4 months] arrived in New City on April 29, 1900 on the SS Batavia from Hamburg, Germany.  Their destination was Aberdeen, South Dakota.

In 1901, Ignacz, wife Magdalena and their three sons Ignacz, Lambert and Peter moved to Towner, North Dakota.  There, Ignacz went to work for the Great Northern Railway. On July 27, 1905, Ignacz filed on a homestead SE of Trampling Lake [SW 14-36-21-W3].  A short time later he was killed in a railway accident.  In 1906, Magdalena and her five sons, Frank born in 1904 and Karl born in 1906, joined the other families of the Kutschurgan which arrived in Tramping Lake the summer of 1906.  With this group was Karl Ludwig Tuchscherer, Magdalena’s father-in-law and his family, who filed on the adjoining homestead (NW 14-36-21-W3).  Her brother-in-law, Frank (Franz) Tuchscherer, homesteaded NE-14-36-21-W3.  Magdalena applied and received homestead on NW 12-36-21-W3, therefore she was denied the homestead on SW 14-36-21-W3, which her husband Ignatz had applied for before he died. 

Today my sister, Helen Bohn nee Tuchscherer, owns the homestead of my Grandmother, Magdalena Tuchscherer.  Also, Helen and her husband, Simon Bohn, own and live on the homestead, SW-14-36-21-W3, which our grandfather, Ignatz, had applied for before he died. 

Permission to use any images from the GRHC website may be requested by contacting Michael M. Miller