Sister Bernardine Bickler 60th Jubliee
Among the four Franciscan Jubilarians, Sister M. Bernardine Bickler, O.S.F., celebrated her 60th jubilee as a Sister of St. Francis June 19, 1994, at the Provincial Motherhouse in Hankinson.
Reverend Joseph Huebsch, chaplain, was the main celebrant and Reverend John Anderson, pastor of St. Philip's Church, was homilist for the occasion. Visiting clergy joined in celebrating the Eucharistic liturgy.
Sister Bernadine, daughter of the late Lewis and Katherine Bickler, Orrin, entered the Sisters of St. Francis at Hankinson in 1934. She received her B.S. in nursing education from St. Bernard's School of Nursing in Chicago and served as administrator and in nursing ministry in North Dakota hospitals in Drayton, Cando, Hankinson and Oakes.
Following a year of spiritual renewal in the Credo program at Gonzaga University, Spokane, Washington, Sister did retreat work and offered Bible study for two years in Hankinson. After two years at the congregation's generalate in La Storta, Rome, Sister Bernadine returned to Hankinson and served as assistant activity director at St. Gerald's, Hankinson, and in 1987 she returned to work at the motherhouse infirmary, taking care of the sick and elderly sisters.
During her years of nursing, Sister Bernardine served on the Provincial Council from 1962-68; as past president of both the North Dakota Catholic Hospital Association and the North Dakota Hospital Association, she served as a board member of the North Dakota Blue Cross for many years.