Zeeland 2002 Centennial Heritage Calendar

Zeeland, North Dakota's first Fourth of July celebration in 1903 was held on Main Street.
The Zeeland Concert Band was organized in 1908. Henry Walz became the first director. In 1903, Martin Braun took over the band leadership, followed, in 1947, by Arthur Ottenbacher. At one time, 50 band members would play for dances, sometimes that would last all night long. Michael Henne and Wendelin Deibert, in 1904, established a general merchandize business. In 1908, Adolph Boschee joined the partnership, which also sold International Harvester farm implements. During the Great Depression, in 1934, Cecelia Feist purchased the store. Pictured amidst the brooms, saws, and dresses are Fred and Christina Levi, who took over operation of the business. Photo circa 1950. Photo courtesy of Armond Bauer.
Zeeland was famous for strong baseball teams as early as 1904. Up to 200 people gathered to watch baseball on a sunny afternoon at Zeeland City Park and to cheer on the home team.
East meets West in the town of Zeeland, which was established in September 1902. The Dutch origin of the name means "sea land." Legends have been passed down that this flat plain was once under water. Zeeland at its peak covered more than one square mile and was populated by 500 residents. Photos courtesy of Raymond Wolf. West side of town.
East meets West in the town of Zeeland, which was established in September 1902. The Dutch origin of the name means "sea land." Legends have been passed down that this flat plain was once under water. Zeeland at its peak covered more than one square mile and was populated by 500 residents. Photo courtesy of Raymond Wolf. East side of town.

Permission to use any images from the GRHC website may be requested by contacting Michael M. Miller