1905 - 1980
Published by Marian Press, Leipzig, Saskatchewan, 1980, 79 pages,
The Germans from Russia Heritage Collection is pleased to provide
the publication Leipzig 1905 - 1980. Leipzig was a member
of the St. Joseph colonies of west central Saskatchewan. German
Catholic settlers from South Russia and from the USA are considered
to be the original pioneers.
In April, 1905, the first German Catholic immigrants left the
USA and headed for Canada. After about twenty days of travel and
adventure they reached their destination which was approximately
three miles north and two miles west of the present site of Leipzig.
The publication includes these sections: "The History of the Leipzig
Community;" "The Early Pioneer Families in the Leipzig District;"
"St. Paschal's Parish;" "The Towns" including Cavell (Coblenz) and
Leipzig; "Leipzig School District;" and "Notre Dame Convent."
Family names of the Leipzig area include: Leidl, Franke, Hiebert,
Sittler, Glessing, Friedrich, Schmidt, Lesmeister, Stark, Schultz,
Haesch, Bittner, Miller, Kaufmann, Eberhardt and Huber.
|The first sod house
in the Leipzig area.
||The building of
the new church at Leipzig in the 1930s.
Leipzig 1905 - 1980
$20.00 plus Shipping & Handling
Printable Order Form
to use any images from the GRHC website may be requested
by contacting Michael