The German Colonies on the Lower Volga

By Gottlieb Beratz

Translated by Leona W. Pfeifer, LaVern J. Rippley and Dona Reeves-Marquardt, edited by Adam Giesinger. American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, Lincoln, Nebraska, 1991, 370 pages with index supplement, hardcover.


This English translation is a valuable book for those interested in the Volga German heritage and culture. First published several decades ago, the book has been described as the one of the most reliable works on the early years of the German Volga colonies, based on materials in the archives at Saratov, Russia, and in the colonies.

The Table of Contents includes: First Section –The Origin of the Colonies on the Lower Volga and Second Section – The Early Development of the Colonies. There is a list of colonies founded 1764 to 1767; population of the mother colonies in 1912; daughter colonies, with 1912 populations; the 1769 census of the new colonies; earliest map of the Volga colonies.

The Catholic Church of Herzog, where Gottlieb Beratz served as parish priest from 1911 to 1921.
The Cathlolic Church in Katharienstadt, a wooden church built in the early 1800s, in continual use until the Communist era.

The German Colonies on the Lower Volga

$25.00 plus Shipping & Handling

Printable Order Form


Permission to use any images from the GRHC website may be requested by contacting Michael M. Miller