Selby Diamond Jubilee Historical Book: 1900 - 1975|
Diamond Jubilee Book Committee, Selby, South Dakota, 1975, 213 pages,
Selby located in north central South Dakota was largely settled
by Germans from Russia. The publication includes photographs, business
histories, church histories, committees, schools, organizations
and clubs, and railroads.
Schwartz & Sport Hardware Store, abut 1902. Later came
Oberlander Hardware Store, and in 1924 was sold to Adam Pressler.
Remodeled and enlarged by Pressler, it became Duff's Furniture
when Presslers retired from business. At present, the building
houses D & D Auto Parts.
The "Family Biographies" section includes these names:
Baer, Bauder, Berens, Bohle, Bucklin, Christman, Christy, Comment,
Ellig, Flemmer, Godding, Hanson, Haux, Heier, Helm, Himrich, Hoffman,
Holder, Hoven, Huber, Johnson, Kosters, Lemler, Marxen, Miklos,
Miller, Norby, Nusz, Olson, Perman, Raba, Raether, Randall, Reuer,
Roesler, Rosin, Schwanzenbach, Scherer, Seeley, Schlepp, Thorstenson,
Thompson, Wagner, Wahl, Walter, Weigum, and Zabel.
Gross Brothers Implement sold Moline wagons. John Deere plows
and McCormick harvesting machines, as well as, four and feed.
The business was operated until 1906 when it was sold to Otto
Lincke. The building was on site of the present Three B Hardware.
Old Berens Saloon in 1930. People in the picture are (back)
Hitch Sieck. Floyd Sunderland, unidentified, Rusty Sunderland,
unidentified, Mike Dupla, and Frank Raether. Behind this bar
are Alfred (Punk) Crandall and Johnnie Berens. At this table,
left are Ben Raether, Art Nusz, and back to camera, Clint Hill.