Saint Anselm Catholic Church of Fulda: 1901 - 2005
Written by Theresa B. Lange and Official Church Records, edited
by Reverend Donald Leiphon, material provided by Nick Schall, Jr.
and Family and Peter Mathern Family, Saint Anselm's Catholic Church,
Fulda, North Dakota, 2005, 31 pages, softcover
This publication provides valuable historical information for Saint
Anselm's Catholic Church, rural Fulda, Pierce County, north central
North Dakota. The homesteaders who settled this area came primarily
from the Catholic Black Sea German villages of Baden, Elsass, Kandel,
Mannheim, Selz and Straßburg, Kutschurgan District, South
Russia (today near Odessa, Ukraine).
German-Russian family names include: Albrecht, Axtman, Bachmeier,
Bischoff, Black, Bohl, Bosch, Burkhard, Dosch, Goetz, Hoffert, Jaeger,
Jundt, Keller, Koenig, Kuntz, Mathern, Schall, Schell, Schmaltz,
Schneibel, Schwan, Voeller, Volk, Wangler, Welk and Wolf.
The publication provides primarily a summary clergy who have served
Saint Anselm's Church as well as chronology of events beginning
in 1897 to 2005. In 1897, the first Catholic Priest, Rev. Joseph
Wilhelm, visited this area in the spring and offered Mass in the
home of Egidi Koenig.
The Vincent Volk family donated eight acres of land for the church
site. The first church was completed in 1901. The church was blessed
by Bishop John Shanley in October of 1901 and given the name of
the great Bishop of Canterbury, Saint Anselm. At that time, it was
a mission attended from the Benedictine Abbey near Devils Lake,
There is no listing of births, deaths or marriages in this publication.