Significant Contributors to
German-Russian History & Culture
|Edna Mae (Shieve Zweigle) Boardman
- Celebrating the Life of Arthur E. Flegel
- Obituary (6 August 1917 - 16 March 2018)
- Gulker, Linda Hubbard. "Arthur E. Flegel approaches his 100th birthday." InMenlo, 31 July 2017.
- "Arthur E. Flegel Genealogical Center." News and Views, Golden Gate Chapter, American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, Volume 41, Number 5, September - October 2012, 5. [PDF]
- Celebrating the Life of Cleora (Reuscher) Flegel (June 5, 1918 - April 17, 2009)
- "'Creation and Development of the AHSGR Obituary and Genealogy Card Files' as Recalled by Arthur Flegel on August 21, 2001." News and Views, Golden Gate Chapter, American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, Volume 41, Number 5, September - October 2012, 6. [PDF]
- Kriessmann Willi. "Arthur Flegel: Chronicler of the Long Trek."New Yorker Staats-Zeitung, no. 19: 19, 13 March 2004.
E. Flegel: Chronicler of the Long Trek
by Willi Kriessmann (German)
- Arthur E. Flegel's
90th Birthday, August, 2007
Bessarabiendeutschen (German language)
Island Medal of Honor Award. Ellis Island,
New York, May 12, 2007
Relationships of the Kulm, Leipzig, Tarutino
Communities in Bessarabia, Russia by Arthur
E. Flegel, 2005
- The Life Story of Dr. Karl Stumpp, Published by the Germans from Russia Heritage collection, NDSU, Fargo, ND, 2006, 47 pages, Softcover.
Interview of Arthur E. Flegel & Cleora
Reuscher Flegel, Menlo Park, California,
Photograph taken in July, 2010 on the North Dakota state capitol grounds iwht the statue of Sacagawea. (l-r): Michael Miller, Arthur Flegel (93), Harold Ehrmann. The event was the World Premiere of "Its All Earth and Sky", award winning Prairie Public Broadcasting documentary. Arthur Flegel was one the major sponsors.
(l-r): Michael Miller, Arthur E. Flegel and his son John Flegel at the World Premiere of "It's All Earth and Sky", Heritage Center, Bismarck, ND, July, 2010.
Michael Miller with Arthur & Cleora (Reuscher) Flegel, Menlo Park, CA, February 1999, recieving the VHS documentary, "The Germans from Russia: Children of the Steppe, Children of the Prairie", as a major donor.
- Freeman, Margaret and Michael M. Miller. "Bundestreffen." Journal of American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, n.d.
from Margaret Aman Freeman about Glückstal
of the Glueckstal Monument
- "Distinguished Service Award Presented to Margaret
Aman (Zimmerman) Freeman." Journal of the American Historical Society of
Germans from Russia 20, no. 3, Fall 1997.
from Russia Gatherings, 1999 Redondo Beach,
California, February 27 and March 1, 1999
- Margaret (Aman) and Robert Freeman Publication Fund of the Glueckstal Colonies Research Association
of Margaret Aman Freeman
- Remembering Margaret Freeman
- Rudolf, Dr. Homer. "Margaret Freeman, Co-founder and Coordinator of GCRA for Many Years Now Deceased." 1 October 2010.
California Chapter Hosts German Delegation
Brother Placid Alois Gross, O.S.B.
bad Case of the Giggles." Assumption
Abbey Newsletter 31, no. 4: October 2003.
- "Brooms of Our Ancestors." Assumption Abbey, Richardton,
- “Customs and Traditions not Taught
in School.” Germans from Russia Heritage Society Convention, Pierre, South Dakota, July 8, 1994.
- "Golden Jubilee of Brother Placid Gross, O.S.B." Assumption Abbey Newsletter, June 27, 2009.
- “Brother Placid Gross celebrates 50 years as Benedictine monk.” New Earth, July/August 2009, 6.
- "The Golden Jubilee of Brother Placid Gross." Assumption Abbey Newsletter 37, No. 3, July 2009, 1-2.
- Photographs of 50th Anniversary of Brother Placid Alois Gross, O.S.B.,
Assumption Abbey, Richardton, North Dakots, June 27, 2009.
- "Journey to the Homeland June 8-24, 1996." A travelogue by Brother Placid Gross.
- Journey to the Homeland Tour 1996 Photos
- Interview with Eva Baer (EB), 11 December 1997, Richardton, North Dakota.
- Interview with Helen Biegler (HB), 6 May 2000, Richardton, North Dakota.
- Interview with Frances Burckhard
(FB), February 27, 2000, Bismarck, North Dakota.
- Interview with Reuben Dammel (RD), 20 September 2000, Medina, North Dakota.
- Interview with Elizabeth Gross
Kambeitz (EK) and Ken Kambeitz (KK), 16 October 1998, Richardton, North Dakota.
- Interview with Frank and Theresia
Freitag Messer (F&TM), 16 January, 2000, Richardton, North Dakota.
- Interview with Anton "Tony" Metz
(TM), 17 November 1998, Dickinson, North Dakota.
- Interview with Martha Vetter Moch
(MM), 26 September, 2000 Braddock, North Dakota.
- Interview with Frances Hatzenbuehler
Thomas (FT), 6 January, 2000, Dickinson, North Dakota.
- "Richardton's Assumption Abbey to end century-old cattle practice." Bismarck Tribune, 29 July 2011.
Brother Placid Alois Gross, O.S.B.
Brother Placid Gross, Richardton,
ND, feeding grass to cow in Kutschurgan villages near Odessa, Ukraine, May 1996.
Joseph S. Height
Alsace Emigration to Russia by Dr. Joseph
in a Soviet Slave Labor Camp: A True Story by the Former Deportee Leo Oks, translated
by Dr. Joseph S. Height.
of Our Forefathers by Joseph S. Height,
1978, 170 pages.
- "Dr. Height Writes Book on Saga of Germans From Russia." Pierce County Tribune, 19 July 1972.
on the Steppe: Cultural History of the Evangelical-Lutheran
Colonies in the Region of Odessa, 1804 - 1945 by Joseph S. Height, 1973, 431 pages.
of the Black Sea Germans: Highlights of Their
History and Culture by Joseph S.
Height, 1972, 372 pages.
- Obituary of Joseph S. Height (1909-1979.)
on the Steppe: A Cultural History of the Kutschurgan,
Beresa and Liebental Colonies, 1804 -
1972 by Joseph S. Height, 1972, 411 pages.
Saga of Our German Russian Ancestors,
presentation by Dr. Joseph S. Height, June,
Visit to the German Colonies near to Odessa
in 1938 by J. G. Kohl, German to English
translation by Professor Joseph S. Height.
and justification message from Mr. Teufel,
Governing Minister of the State of Baden-
Wuerttemberg to Johannes Rau, President
of the Federal Republic of Germany
Order of Merit Award
- "Honoring Georg Hildebrandt." Volk auf dem Weg, October 2003, 28.
- "Order of Merit Awarded to Georg Hildebrandt." Volk auf dem Weg, May 2003, 21.
by Lore Hasenbein
are you still alive? A German in the Gulag
are you still alive? A German in the Gulag
(California District Council Report,
- Wiebe, Katie Funk. "Why
are you still alive?: A German in the Gulag." Mennonite Weekly Review, 6 December
- The Editors, “Johann Kampen Is Awarded the Augsburg Medal of Merit." Volk auf dem Weg, January 2010, 15.
- Kampen, Hans. "Mourning Johann Kampen."Volk auf dem Weg, December, 2015, 41.
- Kampen, Hans and Johann Kampen. "Our Landsleute in the United States." Volk auf dem Weg, November 1999.
- Kampen, Johann. "Historical Research Society Takes Stock After Three Years." Volk auf dem Weg, January 2003, 38.
- Kampen, Johann. "Hunger Eighty Years Ago: Germans from the Former USSR Remember 1933." Volk auf dem Weg, April 2013, 36-37.
- Kampen, Johann. "Memories of Dr. Karl Stumpp." Volk auf dem Weg, June 2006, 61.
- Kampen, Johann, "Stages in a Long Life." Volk auf dem Weg, June 2011, 20.
- Kampen, Johann. "Years of Persecution and War: Reports from Contemporary Witnesses." Volk auf dem Weg, May 2011, 12-13.
- New Cultural Heritage Scholarship established at NDSU
- Schleicher, Jon. "Distinguished
Service Award Honorees: Solomon R. Schneider & Timothy J. Kloberdanz." American Historical Society of Germans from
Russia Journal, Fall 1999, 51-54.
from Russia Class at NDSU, Fargo, ND
from the Germans from Russia Class, May, 2002
from the Germans from Russia Class, May, 2002
- "Dr. Timothy Kloberdanz Receives "Outstanding
Teacher" Award." American Historical Society of Germans from Russia
Newsletter, no. 112: 1, Spring 2004.
article receives national media exposure
- Roger, Ken. "Teaching Our Ethnic Heritage." Bismarck Tribune, 2000, 33.
- "Sundogs and Sunflowers: Folklore and Folk Art of the Northern Plains." North Dakota Council on the Arts, Bismarck, North Dakota, 2010, 339 pages, hardcover.
Bernd G. Längin
Bernice Black Pritzkau
Special Collections: Gwen Bernice Black Pritzkau
/ Walter and Alice Riedlinger Essig
- "Gwen Bernice Black Pritzkau." Salt Lake Tribune, 3 May 2006.
Tribute by Kenneth L. Messmer, May 4,
2006, Riverton, Utah
to Gwen Black Pritzkau (May, 2006)
Gwen Bernice Black Pritzkau By Margaret
Aman Freeman, Memorial Service, Germans
from Russia Heritage Society Convention,
Portland, Oregon, July 16, 2006
- Freeman, Margaret. "Glueckstal Colonies Research Association." FEEFHS Quarterly, Spring/Summer 1999, 65-67.
from Russia Gathering, Redondo Beach, California,
from Russia Heritage Society Convention, Family
History and Genealogy Room, August, 1998,
Bismarck, North Dakota
Memorial Monument Dedication Program, May,
2002, Village of Glinoye, Moldova (former
German village of Glückstal) (photographs)
Villages, May, 2002, Journey to the Homeland
- Kirschenmann, Jay. "Group Helps Unearth Genealogical Roots." Aberdeen American News, 10 July 1999.
- Major Contributions
on Two Continents: Germans from Russia and
America By Gwen Pritzkau, World Conference
on Records. Preserving Our Heritage, August,
1980, Salt Lake City, Utah
- "Russian German Struggles, Sacrifices Brought to Light." Forum, 5 August 1991, sec. 12B.
Dr. Homer Rudolf
Dr. Homer Rudolf, Professor Emeritus of Music
University of Richmond, Richmond Virginia
Native of Wishek, McIntosh County, North Dakota
- A Celebration in Honor of Homer Rudolf (1938 – 2018), Memorial Garden, University of Richmond, Richmond, Virginia, 22 April 2018
- Choir adding harmony to documentary, Jamestown College Magazine, Jamestown, ND, Winter, 2004.
- Coordinator, Colonies Research Association, 2010 to 2014.
- Dakota Memories Heritage Tour, Ludwig and Christina (Schwahn) Welk Homestead and Sts. Peter & Paul's Catholic Church, Strasburg, ND, 17 September 2011.
- Dakota Memories Heritage Tour, September, 2011, Presenters including Homer Rudolf.
- Interview with Homer Rudolf, conducted by Bob Dambach, 18 September 2004, Strasburg, ND.
- Journey to the Homeland, May 1998, Visit to the Glückstal Villages.
- Just, Carol. "Homer Rudolf - Mentor and Friend." St. Louis Park, Minnesota, January 2018.
- Member of Board of Directors, Germans from Russia Heritage Society, 2003-2005.
- Prairie Public TV at Wishek, Wishek Star, May, 2003.
- Rudolf, Homer, Childhood Games.
- Rudolf, Homer, Christmas Memories.
- Rudolf, Homer, Compiler. German-Russian Dialetics - Bibliography, 2010.
- Rudolf, Homer, Editor. The Glückstalers in New Russia and North America: A Bicentennial Collection of History, Geneaology & Folklore, 2004, 800 pages.
- Rudolf, Homer, Editor. The Glückstalers in New Russia, the Soviet Union, and North America, Glückstal Colonies Research Association, 2008, 760 pages.
- Rudolf, Homer, Scriptwriter. Heaven is Our Homeland, Glückstal Colonies Research Association, 2004, DVD.
- Rudolf works on Glueckstal Colonies Archives in NDSU Library, University Relations Media Release, North Dakota State University, Fargo.
Homer Rudolf and Carol Just at the Welk Homestead Historic Site, Strasburg, North Dakota during the Dakota Memories Heritage Tour, September 2011.
|Dr. Ute Schmidt
- Author's Event with Dr. Ute Schmidt, Berlin, Germany, author of the book, Bessarabia: German Colonists on the Black Sea.
- Baehr, Ulrich. "'Special Summer Event' - Book Introduction in Minneapolis." Mitteilungsblatt, September 2012, 4.
- Baumann, Arnulf. "From the Guest Book for the Bessarabia Exposition in Hannover." Mitteilungsblatt, November 2013, 8-10.
- Dr. Ute Schmidt and Ulrich Baehr, Berlin, Germany visit the Emily P. Reynolds Historic Costume Collection. 16 July 2012.
- Gutsche, Horst. "Bessarabia: German Colonists on the Black Sea." Barrhead, Alberta.
- Miller, Michael M. In Touch with Prarie Living. August 2010.
- Miller, Michael M. In Touch with Prarie Living. July 2011.
- Sachse, Christian. "Die Deutschen aus Bessarabien: Eine Minderheit aus Sudosteuropa, 1814 bis heute." Berlin, Germany.
- Schmidt, Dr. Ute. Bessarabia: German Colonists on the Black Sea. Translated to German by James T. Gessele, 2011, 432 pages, Hardcover.
- Schmidt, Dr. Ute. "'Pious and Industrious Folks...' The German Settlements in Bessarabia." Mitteilungsblatt, December 2010, 4-5.
- Visit to the Lehr Tabernacle, Lehr, North Dakota with Dr. Ute Schmidt, Berlin, Germany on 17 July 2012.
William C. Sherman
- Father William C. Sherman Photograph Collection (NDSU GRHC)
William Sherman continues to research in his
beloved North Dakota By Catherine
Jelsing, Office of Publications, North Dakota
State University, Fargo
- Hagerty, Marilyn. "Notable North Dakotans William Sherman: Preacher and Teacher." North Dakota Horizons, Winter 1997.
Doctor of Leadership, Reverend William C.
- Lee, Stephen J. "Father Sherman Steps Down From Pulpit." Grand Forks Herald, 11 June 2003, 1.
- Omdahl, Lloyd. "North Dakota's Historian-Priest." Grand Forks Herald, 12 December 2005, sec. 7A.
- Plains Folk: North Dakota's Ethnic History. William C. Sherman and Playford V. Thorson, editors, Institute
for Regional Studies, North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND,
1986, 431 pages.
- Prarie Mosaic: An Ethnic Atlas of Rural North Dakota. By William C. Sherman. North Dakota State University Press, North Dakota State University, Fargo, North Dakota, 2017, 152 pages.
- Prairie Mosaic: An Ethnic Atlas of Rural North Dakota. By William C. Sherman. North Dakota Institute for Regional Studies, North Dakota State University, Fargo, North Dakota, 1983, 152 pages.
- Selz, Russia: Home Colony. by William C. Sherman. University of Mary Press, Bismarck, North Dakota, 2011, 32 pages.
- "Sherman to Receive Sertoma Award."Grand Forks Herald,
1 April 2003, 2B.
- Zhang, Xiao. "A Friend to Everyone: Large Crowd Turns out to say Goodbye to Father Sherman." Grand Forks Herald, 17 June 2003, sec. 1A.
- Flegel, Arthur E. The Life Story of Dr. Karl Stumpp, 2006, 47
- "Big Kraut Poses as Big Chief." Pierce County Tribune, 28 July 1971, 1.
- Carlson, Mark. "Karl Stumpp Exhibit to be Relocated." Pierce County Tribune, 18 February 1976, 7.
- "Famous Scholar to Speak at Germans-From-Russia Meeting Here." Pierce County Tribune, 14 July 1971.
from Russia Authority Was Guest at Local Museum,
Pierce County Tribune, Rugby, North
Dakota, July 12,1978.
- "Germans from Russia Authority to Visit Here." Pierce County Tribune, 5 July 1978.
- "'Karl Stumpp and the Hoover Intritution Library', as told by Arthur E. Flegel." News and Views, Golden Gate Chapter, American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, Volume 41, Number 5, September - October 2012, 4. [PDF]
announcements in German
Emigration from Germany to Russia in the Years
1763 to 1862 Part I and II by Karl
Stumpp, 2001, 1008 pages.
German-Russians: Two Centuries of Pioneering
by Dr. Karl Stumpp 1978, 149 pages.
Tribute to My Dad on Father's Day, June
19, 2005, Manhattan, Kansas
- Belden, Chris. "Hays Man Has Own Version of ‘Roots’." Hays Daily News, 3 April 1977, 1, 3.
- Clarkin, Mary. "Weigel Honored for Preserving Heritage." Hays Daily News, 10 August 1995,
Traditions: Nicknames, American Historical
Society of Germans from Russia, Lincoln, Nebraska,
Work Paper Number 13, December, 1973, pages
- Galante, Joseph. "Historian Weigel Dies." Hays Daily News,
21 June 2005, 1, 6.
- In Memory of
Lawrence A. Weigel, 22 June 2005
- "Lawrence A. Weigel Obituary." Hays Daily News, 20 June 2005.
Sing Our History", Journal of the
American Historical Society of Germans from
Russia, Lincoln, Nebraska, Work Paper Number
19, December, 1975, pages 46-48
Sing Our History: A Traditional Wedding Song",
Journal of the American Historical Society
of Germans from Russia, Lincoln, Nebraska,
Work Paper Number 23, Spring, 1977, pages
- (Above articles printed with
permission of AHSGR, Lincoln, Nebraska)