Original Tile Used for Roof of German Home in Freudental, Myrnoye, Ukraine (former German village of Freudental near Odessa)

Donated to the Germans from Russia Heritage Collection by Duane V. Retzloff, Mountain View, California

This colorful tile is an example of the tile used by the Germans in the Liebental region of the Ukraine to roof their homes. As shown in the picture, several different colors of tile were used, creating a distinctive and colorful montage that set this home apart from other homes in the area. This tile was taken from a batch of extra tiles left over from roofing of an old German home in the village of Myrnoye, (formerly Freudental) Belayevka Region Odessa District. It was donated by Tatanya Pylypenko (shown above) who lives in this home at 58 Lenin Street in Myrnoye. She said that the home was built and originally occupied by Germans many years ago and the roof dated from the days the Germans lived there. According to her, the tile was of such good quality that it never leaked and never needed repairing by the previous owners or in the twenty-five years that she lived there. The tiles were still in perfect condition as far as we could tell.

According to one of the town council members, Freudental was established in 1808 and its first school opened in 1809. It is in Parish #48 in the Belayevka Region. As of 1998, the Freudental Parish consists of 4000 des. of land, is populated by 390 landowners and 420 non-landowners, including 60 craftsmen and 10 tradesman. The town has a total of 196 houses.

This tile was brought back with the Journey to the Homeland Tour of May, 1998 sponsored by the North Dakota State University Libraries by tour member, Duane V. Retzloff. Duane's ancestors once lived in the German village, Freudental. They immigrated to the Kulm area of North Dakota in the 1890's.

Roof of the home of Tatanya Pylypenko, 58 Lenin Street, Myrnoye, near Odessa, Ukraine. Tatanya Pylypenko presents tile to Duane V. Retzloff from an old German home in the former German village of Freudental (today Myrnoye, Ukraine), May, 1998.

Permission to use any images from the GRHC website may be requested by contacting Michael M. Miller