Emergencies: Trip Tips

Journey to the Homeland Tours
Germans from Russia Heritage Collection
North Dakota State University Library, Fargo

Here's how you can plan for an emergency before leaving on a business trip:

Check your company's insurance coverage and credit card coverage. If using a corporate credit card, ask if other services are included, such as emergency medical coverage, medical and legal referrals.

Carry phone numbers for credit card issuers, nearest U.S. consulate, hospital, police, hotel and airline separately from your wallet in case it is lost. If so, contact police and the U.S. consulate.

In emergencies:
If stranded without money, call the consulate.

Airlines can help passengers with documents and fees required crossing borders.

Funds may be wired to international travelers to local banks. If your credit card affiliated with a local bank, you can often establish a credit line.

Here are some sources for help. For toll-free numbers, an international operator is often needed first to call collect.

Bureau of Consular Affairs at the State Department can provide information about documents and locations for passports, visas and travel requirements for a fee. Credit card users pay a flat $4.95 to dial 1-888-362-8668. Others can call 1-900-225-5674 and pay $l.05 a minute for operator assistance between 8 a.m.-8 p.m. ET or 35 cents a minute for recorded messages after hours.

World Assistance Services, Inc., 1-800-368-7878.

American Global Emergency Medical Services, Atlanta 707-475-1114

Medex Assistance, 410-453-6300.

International Association for Medical Assistance to Travelers, 716-754-4883 which links travelers to doctors in 130 countries.

Western Union, 1-800-325-4176

American Express, 1-800-221-7282 here to find local agents abroad.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 404-332-4559.

The World Health Organization at 202-974-3000 for up-date on illnesses worldwide.

Permission to use any images from the GRHC website may be requested by contacting Michael M. Miller