Irene (Bender) Schauer Collection
Finding Aid to the Irene (Bender) Schauer Collection
Donated by Irene (Bender) Schauer on 20 July 2007 to Germans from Russia Heritage Collection, NDSU Libraries, North Dakota State University, Fargo, North Dakota.
Contents: Nine unidentified photographs of Martin Bender Sr. family, (origins of Kassel, Glueckstal colony); plus forty-five photo-image (copies) clipped from Ashley Tribune “Down Memory Lane,” published during 1973 thru 1978. [Refer to Bender family history in Venturia Centennial Book.]
Inventory prepared by Jay Gage, GRHC Curator.
Inventory listed as follows:
Photograph (copy) of unidentified wedding portrait, circa 1911, near Venturia, North Dakota.
Photograph (copy) of unidentified wedding portrait in South Russia, circa 1883-1888. “N.F. Trade” is known photographer studio in Odessa region. Possibly parents of bride in photo #04.
Cameo portrait of unidentified young mother with toddler child, circa 1915, near Venturia, North Dakota. [This mother is identified as bride in photo #04.]
Wedding portrait of unidentified couple, circa 1904, near Venturia, North Dakota. [Bride is identified as mother with toddler in photo #03.]
Family portrait of six children (unidentified) from South Russia photo.
This older couple, circa 1938, are identified as same couple in wedding portrait [photo #04], near Venturia.
Notation: “Werre’s baby who died.” White infant’s casket set on box before view of unidentified parents with their three living children. This rural farm funeral, circa 1910, from Burnstad or Napoleon area in Logan County.
Photograph (copy), published in Wishek Newspaper for Napolean Centennial, June 1894. Parents John Gross and Benedicta Laternus Gross, with their son Mathias in military uniform and daughter Clara. This Mannheim, Kutschurgan district, portrait was photographed before their immigration to North America [Logan County] in 1894.
Mathias was the father of John M. Gross. Clara was Carl Leier’s step-mother.
The Fischers lived at Long Lake, McPherson County, South Dakota.
Wedding portrait of double-wedding of Fischer brothers in Eureka, McPherson County, South Dakota. The two bridal couples are not furthered identified, circa 1942-1948. Photographer is Heilman Studio in Eureka, South Dakota. [Irene got photo from Hebron, North Dakota, for identity in McIntosh County.]
The following images (copies) were published in 1973 through 1978 in “Down Memory Lane” by the Ashley Tribune Newspaper: (collected by Irene Bender Schauer).
Portrait of Scotsman A.G. Godfrey, who came to McIntosh County from Michigan, to homestead in Lowell Valley near Venturia in McIntosh County. Mr. Godfrey came from Davison (Flint County) on west edge of La Peer County, where Almont (in southeast corner of La Peer County) was former home of Nina Farley until 1887. Photo submitted by Jacob Weisser of Long Lake, McPherson County, South Dakota.
This 1887 photograph family portrait of Jacob Rembold who farmed near Scotland, Hutchinson County, South Dakota. Some members of this family later lived in the Ashley and Eureka area. In front row (left to right) are Daniel, Martin, father Jacob Rembold, William (on his father’s lap), Rosina, mother Dorothea (Stadel) Rembold, Christian (on mother’s lap), Christina Stadel (Heil), and Maria Stadel (Pfeifle). In back row are Carl, Jacob Jr., and Elizabeth. Jacob Rembold had five sons and two daughters from a former marriage.
He came to North America from Strassburg, Kutschurgan district, South Russia on 23 November 1885. He married Dorothea Stadel, and the couple had four children: Carolina married Fred Kirschenman, and after his death, remarried to Gustava Weiland; Fred; Sofia; who married Gustave Cook, and after his death, remarried to Andrew Kraemer; and Edward. One daughter, Maria Stadel, grew up in Scotland area and was married to Andrea Pfeifle on 16 December 1906. After their marriage, this couple farmed five miles southwest of Danzig. Photo was submitted by Lena Bender of Ashley.
Photograph (copy) of family portrait in 1893 of Mr. and Mrs. Friedrich Skaley, who homesteaded and farmed 12 miles east of Ashley [either Beresina or Coldwater townships]. Standing in back row are daughters, Susanna and Maria Magdalene. In front row are mother Karolina Skaley holding son Gustav; seated is son John, father Friedrich Skaley is holding son Gottfried. They immigrated to North America on 20 May 1885, coming directly to McIntosh County. When “Gust” grew up, he farmed the old farmstead until he and his wife retired in Ashley in 1947. This photo was submitted by Gust’s daughter, Mrs. Eddy A. Mayer, who resides in Lakota, North Dakota. Photographer was Ryanis Studio in Ellendale, Dickey County, North Dakota.
Photograph (copy) of family portrait of Balthasar Iszler Sr. Family was taken in Friedenstal, Bessarabia before immigrating to North America in the spring of 1898. They settled two miles north of Venturia, McIntosh County, North Dakota. Front row, left to right, Dorothea (Joachim) Iszler, son Bill Iszler, and father Balthasar Iszler, Sr. Back row are children: Elizabeth (Mrs. William Joachim), Andrew Iszler, Fred Iszler, and Balthasar Iszler, Jr. (husband of Mrs. Eva Iszler of Ashley). Not pictured were John, Michael, and Gottlieb Iszler, Sr. The Iszlers emigrated from Friedenstal, Bessarabia to Dobrudscha German colonies in Romania in 1892, where they lived for two years before returning to Bessarabia. Gottlieb Iszler, Sr. was twenty years old when he arrived to North America. Photo submitted by grandson Gottlieb Iszler, Jr. of Ashley.
Photograph (copy) of family portrait in 1896 of Johann Teske family, who farmed four miles north of where Long Lake, McPherson County, South Dakota, is located. The Teskes immigrated to North America in 1884, settling in South Dakota. Standing behind father John Teske is Karolina, who later married Christian Fischer at Long Lake. The daughter standing behind mother Teske is Christina who died 14 July 1899 of thirteen years old. The daughter between her parents is Magdalene, who later married Daniel Hoff, who died; thus she re-married to brother Edward Hoff. Magdalena died 10 August 1966. The daughter sitting between her parents is Agnes, who later married Jacob Stugelmeyer; Jacob died 5 February 1973. The daughter sitting on mother Teske’s lap is Sara who died 21 May 1898. Mrs. Teske died 23 March 1938, while Mr. Teske died 23 March 1938. Three of their children died in infancy. Agnes Teske Stugelmeyer later lived over forty years in Eureka, South Dakota.
Photograph (copy) of family portrait circa 1898 of the Gottlieb Joachim, Sr., and Dorothea Pfeifle Joachim family. The two children seated between their parents are son Solomon Joachim and daughter Lydia Joachim Merkel. Son Andrew Joachim, last surviving member in 1973 is on his father Gottlieb’s lap. Mother Dorothea Pfeifle Joachim is seated on far right. The second row are son John Joachim, Katherine Kusler, and Emma Ritter. Standing in third row in back are son Gottlieb Joachim, Jr. and son Jacob Joachim. This cherished photograph was submitted by Mrs. Christ Hauk of Forbes, Dickey County, North Dakota, also a niece of Andrew Joachim, youngest son.
Photograph (copy) of this family portrait (circa 1896?) of Thomas Martz, Sr. family with three of their ten children. Martz farmed seven miles southeast of Ashley. Shown in this photograph are daughter Rose (on mother’s lap), daughter Carolina standing, and son John (between his father’s legs). In 1973-1977, Martz children yet living in Ashley were John, Thomas Jr., and Gottlieb Martz and Mrs. Albert Dockter.
Photograph (copy) of family portrait in 1903 of Gottlieb Nitschke family who emigrated from Kulm, Bessarabia in 1885 and homesteaded southeast of Ashley, until they moved to Texas in 1907. Their oldest son Gottlieb G. Nitschke, who was married, remained to homestead with their farm later owned by a Hildenbrand family. Another son Gottfried Nitschke returned from Texas to settle near Ashley with his family, later moving to Ellendale area in western Dickey County. Front row: father Gottlieb Nitschke holding son Daniel, son Sam (last survivor, living in Oklahoma), daughter Margaret, mother Nitschke holding baby who died a small child. Middle row: son Gottfried and daughter Lydia. Back row: son Gottlieb G. Nitschke, daughter Ottellia and son John. Photograph submitted by grandson Gottfried J. Nitschke of Ashley.
Photograph (copy) of wedding portrait in 1905 of Johannes Gehring and his wife Fredericka Hermann; the couple were married 1 January 1905. Both were born in Beresina, Bessarabia. Fredericka immigrated to North America in 1888 as a 2 ½ year-old child. Her parents settled on farm southeast of Ashley, later operated by Robert Pfeifle. Johannes immigrated to North America as an 18-year-old with his parents, Johann Gehring and Katherina Gramms Gehring. As a young man, Johannes Gehring drove a horse team to deliver mail twice a week on Tuesday and Fridays from Ellendale to Ashley from 1899 to 1901. He also helped build the Soo Line Railroad from Merricourt to Wishek. The couple farmed near Ashley from 1904 until 1946, when they retired and moved to Ashley. They raised eight children, including one son Edwin Gehring who lives in Ashley and farms nearby. Photograph was Miller Photography Studio of Ashley, North Dakota.
Photograph (copy) of wedding portrait in 1905 of Christian Gehring and his wife Sarah Schramm. They were married in October 1904 and homesteaded nine miles northeast of Ashley that autumn. Christian was born 25 March 1883 in Beresina, Bessarabia. His parents were Johann and Katy Rena (Gramms) Gehring. He immigrated to North America in March 1898 as a 15 year-old boy. Before he was married, he worked to build the Soo Line Railroad from Merricourt to Wishek from 1899 to 1902. Sarah Schramm was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Mathias Schramm, also immigrants from Beresina, Bessarabia. Sarah was two years old when she immigrated to North America. In 1888, they homesteaded in Merricourt and Ashley area, putting in their first cereal grain crop with a horse and cow pulling a one-bottom “scarfing” plow which turned the furrows. Her parents’ first home was built of stone with a sod roof. Once, Mathias Schramm lost all possessions in accidental house fire. Sarah had eight sisters and two brothers. Sarah and Christian Gehring had seven children: Adline, who died as an infant; Gertrude, who died at six months; Edwin and Edna, who were twins; Esther; Theodore, who died as an infant; and Arthur. All their children were born three miles east of Danzig and ten miles northwest of Ashley. Informed Gehring Record from Mrs. Esther Schramm Henseth of Denver, Colorado, and Edwin E. Gehring of Ashley.
Photograph (copy) of family portrait of Johannes Maier (from Beresina, Bessarabia) and his wife [unidentified] with their four older children. Jacob is ten years old, John is seven years old, Johanna (Mrs. John Wagner) is three years old, and baby Christine (Mrs. Sackmann), who is one year old. Photograph circa 1904 submitted by Mrs. John Wagner of Ashley, McIntosh County.
Photograph (copy) of family portrait, circa 1908, of Gottlieb Schaffer and Carolina Schaffer, with their six older children born in Ashley. Gottlieb and Carolina were married in Glueckstal village, Glueckstal Colonies, South Russia on 10 October 1889. They immigrated to North America in 1889, settling in McIntosh County to farm for ten years. In 1909, they moved to Alberta, province, Canada. In front row, (left to right) are father Gottlieb Schaffer, Peter (who later married Helen Weishaar), and mother Carolina Schaffer. Second row: Christina (who married Gottfret Reich), Martha (who married Edward Weishaar), and Katherina (who married George Kaiser). Third row: Christoff and Phillip (who married Christina Herman of Ashley). Photo submitted by Mrs. J.B. Salway of Calgary, Alberta.
Photograph (copy) of family portrait in 1910 of Matthies Nitschke and Katherina Maier with their six children, immigrated (in 1902) from Beresina, Bessarabia. Back row, left to right, Edward, Katherina (Mrs. Jacob Schlabsz), Lydia (Mrs. Jacob F. Maier), and Anna (Mrs. Gottfried Schlabsz). Front row, Christoph, father Matthies Nitschke, mother Katherina Maier, and Jacob Nitschke of Ashley. Photo submitted by Jacob Nitschke.
Photograph (copy) of family portrait in 1910 of Christ Merkel and his wife Dora with their eight sons, immigrated (in 1902) from Beresina, Bessarabia. First row, left to right, father Christ Merkel, Julius, John, August, and mother Dora Merkel. Second row: Gustav, Matthew, Jacob, Friedrich, and Rudolf. This photograph submitted by Julius P. Merkel of Ashley, who was nephew of Christ Merkel.
Photograph (copy) of family portrait circa 1904-1908 of Martin Schnaible and his wife Christina with their three daughters, immigrated from Beresina, Bessarabia. Photo, left to right, aunt Rosina Schott of Longview, Washington, grandfather Martin Schnaible, aunt Frieda Mach of Belleville, Michigan, grandmother Christina Schnaible, and aunt Pauline Randle of Missoula, Montana. Photo submitted by granddaughter Pauline Werre of Ashley.
Photograph (copy) of wedding portrait on 1 October 1912 of Albert Reiland and Elizabeth Theil, celebrated their 64th wedding anniversary in 1976 at Wahpeton, North Dakota. They are the parents of Arnold Reiland of Wishek. Photo submitted by granddaughter Nancy A. Kocher.
Photograph (copy) of Gehring youth in 1905: Matt Gehring (standing) of Wishek and Rosina Gehring Rau of Leola, South Dakota. (Seated) Fred Gehring of Salem, Oregon. Rosina Gehring was born in Beresina, Bessarabia. These three Gehring youth grew up in Ashley area of McIntosh County. Photo was submitted by Mrs. Gerhardt Hoffman of Long Lake, McPherson County, South Dakota.
Photograph (copy) of family portrait in 1905 of John Schumacher (born 1871) and wife Fredricke/ Fredricka Maier (born 1876), emigrated from Beresina, Bessarabia. Only their older three children are in shown in the photograph: Front row, left to right, father John Schumacher, Edward Schumacher, mother Fredricka Maier holding baby Jacob Schumacher. Second row: John Schumacher, Jr. and cousin Otto Nitschke. Photograph submitted by August Schumacher (younger child) of Ashley.
Photograph (copy) of family portrait, circa 1908-1910, of Phillip Fischer and Louise Rieger with their four children, who emigrated from Beresina, Bessarabia circa 1902. children, left to right, Martin; Pauline Rau Weller of Eureka, South Dakota; Louise Rall of Lodi California; and Henry P. Fischer of Lodi, California. Photograph was submitted by Henry Fischer.
Photograph (copy) of family portrait in 1917 near Forbes, Dickey County, North Dakota with father Philip Walz Jr. and his wife Christina Maedke with their older four children. [There were Philip Walz, Sr., Philip Walz, Jr., and Philip Waltz III.] First row (left to right), Emma Walz, on lap. (Mrs. Stugelmayer of Eureka, South Dakota), Julius Walz of Ellendale, and Fred Walz (seated). Second row (left to right): father Philip Walz, Jr. (seated), Martha Walz (Mrs. Adam Wagner of Bismarck) and mother Christina Maedke Walz. Walz family origins were Beresina, Bessarabia, while Maedke family origins were Leipzig, Bessarabia. This family photograph was submitted by Mrs. Ron Meidinger of Fredonia.
Photograph (copy) of family portrait, circa 1913, of Mr. and Mrs. Friedrich Bollinger with two of their ten children, emigrated from Beresina, Bessarabia. Baby is Rebecca (Mrs. Gotthilf “Curly” Maier) of Jamestown, North Dakota; and son Edwin of Arlington, Washington. Photograph submitted by Mrs. Walwin Wetzel, who was younger daughter of Fred Bollinger.
Photograph (copy) of family portrait in 1911 of Jacob Dockter, Jr. (whose parents were Jacob Dockter, Sr. and Margaretha Krein of Neudorf, Glueckstal Colonies) and his wife Magdalena Wagemann/Wagenmann and their four children. German Reformed Church. Jacob Dockter Jr. had a great uncle Philip Bender farming at Menno, Dakota, in 1886, when Jacob arrived from Neudorf, the village of his birth circa 1883. [Jacob Wagenmann immigrated in 1818 to Neudorf, Glueckstal Colony, later in 1842 to Hoffnungstal, Bessarabia.] Front row (left to right): Mrs. Lydia Feichert, George Dockter, Ernest Dockter. Back row (left to right): father Jacob Dockter, Jr.; Emma (Mrs. Arthur Walcker) and mother Magdalena Wagemann Dockter. This family portrait photograph was submitted by Mrs. Arthur Walcker of Leola, McPherson County, South Dakota.
Photograph (copy) of family portrait in 1914 of father Christ G. Delzer, (seated in center) son Emil Delzer, and (standing) mother Friedreka Lee (Lang) Delzer, emigrated from Beresina, Bessarabia. Photograph submitted by Emil Delzer of Ashley.
Photograph (copy) of family portrait in June 1916 of Christ Wagner family. Back row (left to right): Pauline (Mrs. Jacob Ehresman), Reubin Wagner, Willie Wagner, Ben Wagner, G.G. (Gottfried) Wagner, and John Wagner. Front row (left to right): Ted Wagner; Jacob Ehresmann, holding his infant daughter Erna; father Christian Wagner, mother Salome Strobel Wagner [born in Beresina, Bessarabia, circa 1877], and Gottlieb Wagner. This family portrait was submitted by John Wagner of Ashley. Photographer was Miller Studio, located in Ashley.
Photograph (copy) of family portrait circa 1896 of Gottlieb Strobel, Sr., family. Front row (left to right): mother Friedericka Motz (born 3 December 1856 in Beresina, Bessarabia; died in Marsh, Montana in 1934); Magdalena; father Gottlieb Strobel, Sr., (born 28 December 1851 in Beresina, Bessarabia; died in Marsh, Montana in May 1925); Gottfried, and Gottlieb G. Strobel, Jr. Back row (left to right): Johannes, Jacob, Friedrich and Saloma (Mrs. Christian Wagner). Gottlieb Strobel, Sr., with wife and five children emigrated from Beresina, Bessarabia in February 1885-arriving in America on 2 April 1885 and settled in McIntosh County fourteen miles east of Ashley, where they lived until 1910. They were German Reformed/ Congregational members. In 1910, they moved to Cabin Creek southeast of Fallon, Montana, near their oldest son Friedrick’s home. All family children grew up and moved to eastern Montana, except Jacob Strobel at Wishek.
Photograph (copy) of eight children of Mr. and Mrs. Gottlieb Dobler, who lived in Kulm in early 1900’s. Herbert Eugene Dobler is baby sitting on chair. His older siblings are (left to right) Gertrude Barbara Stuntz, Edgar Henry Dobler, Delilah Alfreidia Fieneger, Emil Oscar Dobler, Augustina Henrietta Burgening, Christian Albert Dobler and Clara Helen Buscher. All Dobler siblings are cousins of Mrs. Johanna Rall of Ashley. This family photo submitted by Mrs. Pauline Were of Ashley.
Photograph (copy) of family portrait in 1918 of Jacob Bertsch family. Front row (left to right): Susan Diede, Sophia Permann, Adam Bertsch, and Elizabeth Huber. Back row (left to right): Jacob Bertsch, Jr., Christina Bertsch, Henry Bertsch, and Gottlieb Bertsch. This family photograph submitted by Otto Bertsch of Bismarck. Jacob Bertsch was born in Beresina, Bessarabia.
Photograph (copy) of Gottfried Bertsch family in 1935 in front of Ashley school house. Gottfried Bertsch lived in rural Greenway and retired in Venturia. Their sons (left to right): Karl, John G., Emanuel, Adolf, Julius, Gottlieb, Ted and Otto. Their daughters (left to right): Martha (Mrs. Julius Diede), Emilia (Mrs. Karl Dohn), Sophia (Mrs. Christ Dohn) and Magdalina (Mrs. Simon Heupel). Mr. and Mrs. Gottfried Bertsch are seated in front. This family photo was submitted by Mrs. August Dockter of Venturia.
Photograph (copy) of nine children circa 1910 of Johannes Sr. Spitzer [origins of Kassel, Glueckstal Colonies] and Elizabeth Goebel Spitzer [origins of Glueckstal, Glueckstal Colonies], who settled near Long Lake, McPherson County, South Dakota. Except for John and Fred as farmers, seven siblings were Ashley business people during the same era of time. Front row (left to right): Christoph C. Spitzer (drayman in Ashley) and Rudolph R. Spitzer (manager of Ashley Creamery); Second row (left to right): Christian Spitzer (owner of Spitzer meat market); Johannes Spitzer (Ashley farmer); William Spitzer (owner of general merchandise store, later site of Ashley Drug); Third row (left to right): Christine Spitzer Hindemith (her husband Fred owned Hindemith Furnace Repair and Tin (pressed tin panels and whitesmith) Shop; Frederick (Long Lake farmer); Jacob Spitzer (owner of Golden Rule general merchandise, later Super Valu groceries); and Rose Spitzer Hildenbrand (she and her husband owned Our Own Hardware Store). Grandchildren living during 1970-1980 in Ashley are Reinhold Spitzer (son of Johannes Spitzer), Olive (Mrs. Arthur) Schlepp, (daughter of Johannes Spitzer), Viola (Mrs. Emil) Wiedmann, (daughter of William Spitzer). Grandchildren of Johannes Spitzer in Ashley town are Earrold Spitzer and Lester Schlepp; granddaughter of William Spitzer is Dottie (Mrs. Ellis) Puhlmann. This family photograph submitted by Lena Spitzer, wife of Reinhold Spitzer.
Photograph (copy) of Christian Spitzer, circa 1916, standing behind finely-carved counter at Spitzer Meat market (later site of Montana-Dakota Utilities), with sausage links hanging on left wall. Photograph submitted by Lena Spitzer, wife of Reinhold Spitzer (son of Johannes).
Photograph (copy) of four Fregien sisters, circa 1902-1907, are daughters of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Fregein who farmed near Coldwater Lake, east of Ashley. Front row (left to right): Mrs. John C. Bertsch (Friedricka Fregien) of Ellendale and Mrs. John Hein (Christina Fregien). Back row (left to right): Mrs. Rose Woesner/Wesner (Rose Fregien) and Mrs. Christoph Schlenker (Mary Fregein). Mrs. David Maier (Martha Fregein) is not shown in photograph. Their brother Alfred Fregein also lived in Ashley. Martha Maier in Ashley probably submitted this photograph.
Photograph (copy) of four ladies with origins from Beresina Bessarabia: Front row (left to right): Mrs. Gottfried Hermann Sr., mother of Gottfried Hermann Jr. of Ashley, and Mrs. Thomas Martz, mother of Mrs. Albert Dockter. Back row (left to right): Mrs. John Harter, mother of Mrs. Otto Walz, and Mrs. John Weilert. This family photograph submitted by Mrs. Albert Dockter of Ashley.
Photograph (copy); in 1917 at Christof Just farm home, north of Zeeland, McIntosh County, North Dakota, for a family reunion. Husband are standing in front, with their respective wives standing on a porch-deck behind them. (Left to right): Mr. and Mrs. George Just, Mr. and Mrs. John Thurn, Mr. and Mrs. Christof Just, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Thurn and Mr. and Mrs. Adam Heupel. George Just and Christof Just were brothers, Fred Thurn and John Thurn were brothers, Mrs. Adam Heupel and Mrs. Christof Just were sisters. Christof Just was grandfather of Aldina Just of Ashley. Mr. and Mrs. Adam Heupel were parents of Mrs. B.F. Heitzmann of Ashley. This family photograph was submitted by Aldina Just.
Photograph (copy) circa 1914 of Fred Mayer, born in McIntosh County, son of Mr. and Mrs. Christian Mayer, originally of Beresina, Bessarabia. His wife Mathilda Henneberg, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Michael Henneberg near Kulm. Christian Mayer family lived fourteen miles east of Ashley, later as Emanuel George farm. Mrs. Eddy A. Mayer of Lakota, North Dakota, submitted this family portrait photograph.
Photograph (copy), circa 1910-1916, with Beresina, Bessarabia, origins older sister or aunt is Magdalena Becker Salzer. “Tillie”/ Mathilda Becker is perched on chair arm, while her brother Fred Becker is seated on the wicker-style chair. This family photograph was submitted by Tillie Becker who lived in Hot Springs, South Dakota since 1933.
Photograph (copy) of ten children of George Kramer [with origins from Bergdorf, Gluecktal Colonies]. Front row (left to right): Elsie (Mrs. Chris) Lahmann of Seattle, Washington; Pauline (Mrs. Jacob) Nitschke of Ashley; Alma (Mrs. Jacob) Rothfusz of Ashley; John Kramer of Ashley. Middle row (left to right): Emma (Mrs. Gotthilf) Raile; Helen (Mrs. Edward) Schmidt of Lodi, California; and Edward Kramer. Back row (left to right): Christine (Mrs. John) Roehl of Seattle, Washington; Karoline (Mrs. Jacob) Schmidt of Fairfield, Montana; and Karl Kramer. This family photograph submitted by Mr. and Mrs. John Kramer of Ashley.
Photograph (copy) circa 1927 of Wilhelm Schumacker, (born 20 May 1845 at Alt-Elft, Bessarabia, and died 1 January 1944) and his wife Rosina Schnable (born 15 August 1850 at Glueckstal, Glueckstal Colonies, South Russia, and died 1 May 1930) who lived near Eureka and Ashley. Freida (Mrs. Adam) Schnable of Wishek, one of their daughters, stands behind her parents.
Photograph (copy) in 1912 during July 4th celebration in Zeeland. The city band members were a German tradition for music-making. Three branches of cottonwood leaves provided shade for the speaker’s stand. This photograph was submitted by August Boschee of Zeeland, McIntosh County, North Dakota.
Photograph (copy) in 1915 of harvesting with steam-powered threshing near Ashley. Shown with “threshing-rig” are (left to right). George Dobler, Jake Kessel, Martin Schlabsz Jr., Martin Sackmann, Jacob Schlabsz, Fred Schlenker, and Jake Steinwandt. Seated on the steam tractor is Sam Pfaff. This photograph submitted by Mr. and Mrs. J.F. Schneider of rural Ashley.
Photograph (copy) in April 1917 of confirmation class of Zion I Church, located ten miles east of Ashley. Row one (left to right): Adam Merkel, Alfred Fregien, David Reuther, Albert Bertsch, Julius Merkel, Fred Schneider, Jacob Woeszner, and George Wolf. Row two (left to right): Hanna Nitschke, Martha Hauk, Regina Lux, Katie Bendwald, Ottilie Hagert, Jacob Rothfusz, Gottfried Schilling and Reinhold Raile. Row three (left to right): Dora Schock, Christine Niell, Lydia Frank, Rev. H.L. Lechner (pastor), Otto Kampf, Jacob Sizler, and Herman Puhlmann. This photograph submitted by David Reuther of Ashley.
Photograph (copy) of Summer Bible School at Ashley school house for all German-speaking children, from first through third grades. The teacher was Rev. C.H.W. Schulz, pastor of Zion Lutheran in Ashley.
Front row: John Tschetter, Dave Tschetter, Gene Forrest, Adolph Spitzer, John Spitzer, Art Spitzer and (unknown).
Second row: Rudolph Spitzer, John Schulz, Paul Kretschmar, (unknown), Oscar Brosz, (next unknown).
Third row: Bill Kretschmar, Otto Becker, (unknown), Art Schulz, Molly Dorfmann, Helen Geiszler, Ida Spitzer.
Fourth row: Edna Brosz, Mary Kretschmar, Lila Weber, Barbara Weber, Anna Spitzer, (unknown), Emma Spitzer.
Fifth row: Hulda Geiszler, Dora Geiszler, Rose Schulz, Christine Schulz, Emma Schulz, Emelia Becker.
Sixth row: Rev. Schulz, Mary Becker, Emma Brosz, Hannah Schulz.
Seventh row: (standing on side rails) Bill Schulz and Otto Kretschmar.
This photograph was submitted by Mrs. Emma Weisser of Ashley. She says: “I remember those German Bible School days as if they were only yesterday. We really enjoyed them. But only children living in Ashley usually attended Bible School, as rural children could not attend for the reason that their parents needed them to help at home.”
Photograph (copy) of 1919 confirmation class of Zion Lutheran Church in Ashley.
Front row (left to right): Gottlieb Iszler, Rose Kaul Fiechtner, Lydia Stroh (Mrs. Max Kraemer), Mrs. Baetka, Rev. Baetka, Lydia Spitzer Gebhardt, Magdalena Goehrung (Mrs. Peter Mensing).
Middle row (left to right): Marie Sackmann (Mrs. Jacob Woeszner), Johanna Kraemer (Mrs. Ted Geiszler), Ida Becker (Mrs. E.W. Schock), Magdalena Klipfel (Mrs. Henry Glaesmann), Ida Bender (Mrs. Christ Gross), Emelia Jenner, Ida Jenner (Mrs. Ted Hoff), Rudolf Kempf.
Back row: Ted Pfeifle, Ted Stube, Herbert Walker, Jacob Walz, Gottlieb Pfeifle, Ted Wendland. Photograph submitted by Mrs. Herbert Neu (Leona Woeszner) of Ashley, whose mother was Marie Sackmann Woeszner.
Photograph (copy) of Zion Lutheran Church’s Orchestra in 1927, which was organized by Pastor George L. Sprattler (standing in back row), who was orchestra conductor. Pastor Sprattler, a nature of Germany, loved good music. When he came to Ashley, he encouraged the congregation’s youth to learn playing violin, cello, and other musical instruments, which were unfamiliar to most McIntosh County citizens. Pastor Sprattler factored good results through his instruction. Older congregational members fondly remember quality music, which the orchestra contributed to worship services. Front row (left to right): Harold Kramer, Ida Becker Schock, Violet Joerke Quaschnick, Viola Spitzer Wiedmann, Emma Sprattler Bender, Eva Geiszler Tuscherer, and Esther Sprattler.
Back row (left to right): Oscar Spitzer, Lilly Spitzer McGogy, Alma Joerke, Ruth Bietz, Pastor Sprattler, Richard Neu, and Andrew Geiszler.
Photograph (copy) of the 1918-1919 Ashley High School basketball team. This was the first Ashley champion team to advance to district basketball tournament in Bismarck, representing Southwest District. Ashley team defeated Steele, 40 to 12, in their first game, but they were wiped out by Mandan team in the next game contest.
Front row (left to right): John Miller; and William Meidinger of Woodburn, Oregon.
Second row (left to right): Ed Doerr of Lodi, California; Max A. Wishek of Ashley; and August Doerr.
Third row (left to right): Paul Kretschmar of Eureka, South Dakota; Coach John Rohweder (an attorney in Ashley who donated his services as coach); and Elbert Amburn of Los Angeles, California. Beyond spurring his team’s winning streak, Attorney Rohweder inspired professional goals upon his team, as three team-players became attorney themselves: Wishek, Kretschmar, and August Doerr (Logan County State’s attorney in Napoleon). The team’s suits were all home-made. Max Wishek recalls his mother, Nina Farley Wishek, made “A.H.S.” emblems for there tank jerseys.
Photograph (copy) of Ashley “Ace’s” girls basketball team in 1928.
Front row (left to right): Ella Lippert (Mrs. Morris Broschat of Minot); Lily Spitzer (Mrs. Robert McGogy of San Pedro, California); Rebecca Kessel (Mrs. Adolph Thurn of Ashley). Middle row (left to right): Marion Miles (Mrs. Henry Doerr of Yakima, Washington); Mildred Drews (Mrs. Larson of Tucson, Arizona); Viola Spitzer (Mrs. Emil E. Wiedmann of Ashley); and Emma Sprattler (Mrs. F.F. Bender of Ashley). Thelma Andres, the coach, is standing in the back row at top of the girl’s triangle. This sporting photograph submitted by Viola Spitzer Wiedmann of Ashley.
Photograph (copy) of McIntosh Courthouse staff in Ashley circa 1932-1937.
Front row (left to right): Lydia Weber, Andrew Meidinger, Gottfried Bietz, and Mary McGogy. Middle row (left to right): Emil Weidmann, E.W. Schock, and B. Iszler. Back row (left to right): Max A. Wishek, Gottlieb Rall, and “Cheb” Hoffman. This photograph submitted by Eva Iszler of Ashley.