Use the Dissertations & Theses database to search a collection of dissertations and theses from around the world, spanning from 1861 to the present. It includes full text for most of the dissertations added since 1997. When full text is not provided, you can request a copy using interlibrary loan.
Accessing the Database
- Click on Databases above the search box on the homepage of the library
- Click on Dissertations and Theses
- Login using your NDSU credentials (NOT your NDUS)
Search by Topic or Title
Use the Basic Search to find dissertations and theses by topic or title. For example, to find dissertations about Fusarium Head Blight, enter the keywords in the search box and click search. If you already know the title of what you are looking for, you can search using the full or partial title in quotation marks.
Search by Author, Advisor, University, or Department
Use the Advanced Search to find dissertations and theses by topic, title, author, advisor, university, department, and more.
For example, let’s say you know the topic of the dissertation (fusarium head blight) and the author (Puri) but not the full title or the institution. To search for it:
- Click Advance Search
- Type the topic in the first search box and select Anywhere from the dropdown field to the right.
- Type the author name in the second search box and select Author-AU from the dropdown field to the right.
- Click the Search button.
Do you want to see dissertations from a specific department at North Dakota State University?
- Type the department name in the first search box and select Department – DEP from the dropdown to the right
- Type the university name in the second search box and select University/Institution – SCH from the dropdown to the right
- Click the Search button
Additional Tips for Searching ProQuest Databases
- Basic Search(link is external) (ProQuest Playlist on YouTube)
- Advanced Search(link is external) (ProQuest Playlist on YouTube)
- Search Results (link is external)(ProQuest Playlist on YouTube)
- ProQuest Dissertations and Theses: Searching Titles and Languages(link is external) module (or text handout(link is external))
- ProQuest Dissertations and Theses: Searching Names(link is external) module (or text handout(link is external))
- ProQuest Platform Search Tips
NDSU Theses & Dissertations
Here are some additional options for finding NDSU dissertations and theses.
- Dissertations and Theses @ NDSU (ProQuest)
To access this database:From the library homepage, click the Databases tab over the search bar on the home page of the library. Click on D. Scroll down to Dissertations & Theses @NDSU. Login using your NDSU credentials.
Use the basic or advanced search to search by topic or title. To search by a specific department:Click Advanced Search. Type the department name in the search box. Select Department from the dropdown to the right of the search box. Click the Search button.
- NDSU Repository
The NDSU Repository provides access to research from NDSU faculty, staff, and students, including theses, dissertations, papers, coursework, and videos. You can go directly to the repository by going to https://library.ndsu.edu/ir/. Or, to access the repository from the library homepage, scroll down to Digital Collections and then click on Institutional Repository.
Searching by Topic or Title
Once in the NDSU Repository, click on NDSU Theses & Dissertations. You can use the search box on this page to search for theses and dissertations by topic, title, author, or advisor.
To Browse or Search by Department
Once in the NDSU Repository, click on NDSU These & Dissertations. Click on the college or unit in which the department falls. Click on the department. You can browse by issue date (i.e. publication date), author name, title, or subject. Or use the search box to search papers from that department.
- NDSU Library Catalog for Print Theses & Dissertations
Couldn't find the NDSU thesis or dissertation in the Dissertations and Theses databases, the NDSU Repository, or elsewhere online? Check if the library has a print copy. We have print theses and dissertations up to 2011/2012.Type the title, topic, and/or author in the search box on the library homepage and click the search button. You will see a prompt to sign in to see request options. Sign in using your NDSU credentials. You will then see Request: Place a Hold. Fill out the form and then click Send Item Request. You will get an email when your item is ready to pick up.