A Few Interesting Historical Facts - 1883-1993 (110 years)
1883 – As early as 1883, the college was to be located in Fargo, Dakota Territory, by act of the Territorial Legislature. Although the board of trustees had been named and the conditions stated as to procurement of land, the citizens of Fargo were not particularly interested and nothing was acted upon. However, the author of the act, S. G. Roberts of Fargo, succeeded in having an act passed in 1885 by the Territorial Legislature to keep the location of the college in Fargo.
1890 - The offices of the North Dakota Agricultural Experiment Station were located on the 3rd floor over the Red River Bank on 11 Broadway. Their work consisted of classifying, preparing and mounting the material collected on field trips from the South Dakota boundary to the Turtle Mountains.
1890 - Professor C.B. Waldron established the first insect reference collection at NDAC.
1890 - Theries Hinebauch hired as first veterinarian.
1891, September 8 - NDAC opened in rented rooms in basement of main building of Fargo College. “The first home of the Agricultural College was finally established in the basement and main floor of Fargo College. Very satisfactory chemical and biological laboratories were established in the basement. There was also a good recitation room and an office room for the veterinarian on this floor. On the main floor was established a small office for the president, and two general recitation rooms. The northwest corner room of the main building of the Fargo College was used as a joint library for the two institutions. The students were fed-the term is properly applied-at two large tables of the Fargo College dining room, each, according to rules, presided over by a professor. Hinebauch, Waldron and Bolley voted that job unto President Stockbridge and Professor Ladd.” (“Early Days at the A.C.” H.L. Bolley, Dean of Biology, College and State, November, 1923, pp. 11-12)
1891, prior to June 19 - plans for the construction of College Hall (Administration Building), now referred to as Old Main, were submitted to the contractors. The bids were opened on July 1 and the contract awarded to Bowers and Morris Co., Fargo on a bid of $25,155.
1891/92 - end of 1891 or beginning of 1892, a domestic science laboratory was fitted up in a house at Seventh Street and Tenth Avenue North which had been rented for that purpose, and later was used as the College farm house.
1892 - College buggy - “Black Maria” - for use of co-ed during inclement weather
1892 - E.S. Keene hired as first Agricultural Engineer for the Experiment Station.
1895, June 25 - Board of Directors passed a resolution that the degree of Bachelor of Science be granted to Ralph Dairs Ward, Robert Birdsley Reed, Merton Field, Charles Monroe Hall, and John William Hilborn, this being the first class to graduate.
1896, December – The first issue of The Spectrum college newspaper.
1896, February 19 - a resolution of the faculty recommending the organization of a summer school was adopted by the board.
1897 - Lieutenant French of the U.S. Army was detailed as the first military instructor. Arms and equipment were obtained from the War Department.
1898 - Twenty-three male NDAC students join the Army at the outbreak of the Spanish-American War.
1903 - Edgeley sub-station, established as first branch agricultural experiment station.
1904 - C.B. Waldron organized the State Horticultural Society.
1904, May 17 – The Bjornson 'bauta sten' is unveiled at NDAC. “in honor of Bjornstjerne Bjornson, the great Norwegian writer and statesman. The college and city was in holiday attire for the occasion. The buildings were all tastily decorated with bunting and the flags of Norway and the United States . A large crowd, variously estimated from three to five thousand, was on the grounds at 10 o'clock waiting for the program to begin." (The Spectrum, May 15, 1904, p. 113.)
1905 - Dickinson sub-station established for agricultural and grass research.
1907 - Williston sub-station established to conduct research on irrigated crops and dryland farming practices.
1907 - The Agassiz (college yearbook, later changed to the Bison - ceased publication with 1980 issue)
1907 - Due to ill feelings, all athletic events between NDAC & the University of North Dakota (UND) are cancelled
1908 - First greenhouse erected for Experiment Station scientists.
1909 - Langdon Branch Experiment Station established.
1909 - Chemistry building burns and explodes and is responsible for the vacant area between Old Main and South Engineering. With the Chemistry Building went a museum displaying Norwegian costumes and utensils and containing many costly robes and silver dishes which have never been replaced.
1910 - Athletic events between NDAC & UND resumed.
1910 - Girls launch a new association - Agricultural College Association of Home Economics - (Weekly Spectrum , March 1, 1910, p.2)
1913 - Student Life Train – 30 North Dakota towns in 3 days.
1914 - Cooperative Extension organized.
1914, February - Little Country Theater established.
1915 - Student Commission type of government initiated.
1917 - Dakota Hall built in 9 weeks.
1917 - Six newly organized schools: agriculture, chemistry and pharmacy, education, home economics, mechanic arts, veterinary medicine and surgery; plus a group of applied sciences.
1918 - Department of Agricultural Economics and Marketing established.
1919 - Department of Agricultural economics published first bulletin.
1919 - School of Science and Literature organized
1930 - The Flax Institute organized.
1931 - First Agricultural Engineering degrees awarded.
1932 - “Buttercup” squash released by NDAC. Remains the main variety of winter squash grown in U.S.
1936 - Department of Milling and Baking changed to Department of Cereal Technology.
1942 - Officer Candidate School Opens at AC - Field House, Men's Dormitory (Churchill) and Dakota Hall taken over by Army for living quarters; Ceres Hall cafeteria for mess hall; Festival Hall for general assembly; basement of Health Center for infirmary; and north wing of Science Hall (Minard) for Army school. Army also rented Theta Chi & Gamma Rho fraternity houses as school and post headquarters and the College YMCA as a recreational center.
1943 - Student Commission, Senior Class, & Gamma Tau Sigma (honorary journalism fraternity) donated $390 to a “memorial building fund.” [Beginnings of the Memorial Union]
1945 - School of Veterans Affairs - administration of veterans' affairs.
1945 - The North Central Agricultural Experiment Station and Seed Farm established south of Minot .
1946 - Trailer City - 88 trailers (50 for husband and wife & 38 for families) - located south of the NDAC Stadium, which would be the open area east of the union, roughly boarding Ceres, Alba Bales, and Churchill.
1947 - Student body voted for creation of Student Union building fund. The fund will be created by a special assessment to the amount of $5.oo per term, to be added to the student activity fees.
1948 - NROTC building, on Twelfth Avenue. Now the Art Quonsets.
1950 - Institute for Regional Studies established by North Dakota State Board of Higher Education
1950 - Library building completed
1952 - Construction Begins on NDAC Memorial Union.
1953 - Graduate School established.
1953 - Williston Research Station relocated and expanded to emphasize dryland agricultural research.
1957 - “Norland” potato released - most popular early red potato grown in North America.
1958 – Vote to change name of NDAC to North Dakota State University (NDSU) fails.
1959 - PhD program established in plant & animal science, pharmacy, entomology and chemistry.
1959 - Sharivar - all college festival.
1959 - Department of Soil Science established.
1960 - Carrington Irrigation Station established.
1960 - Department of Plant Pathology established.
1960 - Vote to change name to NDSU, passed 2 to 1 margin, name became North Dakota State University of Agriculture and Applied Sciences as of December 8, 1960.
1961 - First computer (IBM 1620) installed.
1961 - 13th Street officially changed to University Drive - April 1961.
1961 – Reed Hall (men's residence).
1961 – 10 acres of NDSU land transferred to USDA for construction of Metabolism and Radiation Research Laboratory.
1961 – NCC Golf Championship.
1962 - Burgum Hall (women's residence.)
1962, July – Walster Hall (agricultural science).
1962 – NCC Golf Championship.
1963 – ROTC requirement of 2 years of basic dropped.
1963 – Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts degrees first offered.
1963 – First Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degrees awarded (1 in agronomy & 1 in entomology).
1963 - Johnson Hall (men's residence).
1963 - Weible Hall (women's residence).
1963 - Sigma Xi (national honorary science fraternity).
1963 - Dalrymple Experiment Plot established at Agronomy Seed Farm.
1963 – NCC Championship in tennis.
1964 - Addition to Memorial Union – expanded bookstore, gameroom and meeting rooms, new office for student publications and radio station, music listening room, and room for viewing television.
1964 - Dunbar Laboratories.
1964 – AAUP censure lifted.
1964 – Vice President for Academic Affairs position created.
1964 – Residence Dining Center.
1964 – NCC Championship in Tennis.
1964 – NCC Championship in Football.
1965 - College of Engineering & Architecture building complex completed.
1965 – Associate degrees granted.
1965 – NCC Championship in Football.
1965 - Football - national championship.
1966, January - KDSU-FM – new NDSU stereo radio station began broadcasting
1966 - Cereal Technology Building addition.
1966 – Dairy Department merged into Animal Science Department.
1966 – NCC Championship in Football.
1967 - Two High-rise Residence Halls built (renamed Thompson & Sevrinson Halls in 1969).
1967- Tri-College University established (NDSU, MSU-M, Concordia)
1967 - Upper Great Plains Transportation Institute established.
1967 – NCC Championship in Football.
1968 – Askanase Hall.
1968 - Stevens Hall.
1968 - Waldron Hall.
1968 - IBM-360 Model 50 installed.
1968, May – Little Country Theater moved from Old Main to Askanase; “Treasure Island” is last play performed in LCT in Old Main.
1968 - Lake Metigoshe conference - groundwork for SU'75.
1968 – NCC Championship in Football.
1968 - Football - National Championship.
1969 – CAP (Concentrated Approach Program) created.
1969 – Two-year associate arts degree program in nursing implemented.
1969 – Vice President for Agriculture position established.
1969 – Vice President for Business & Finance position established.
1969 – NCC Championship in Football.
1969 - Football - National Championship.
1969 - Sudro Hall addition.
1969 - Married Student Housing units (University Village).
1969 - Field House completed (Bison Sports Arena – BSA).
1969, May - Zip to Zap.
1969 – College of Arts & Sciences starts a 5 year program for some sophomores and juniors – half-time on the job training and half-time formal education.
1969 - B.S. with business requirements option added to curriculum of College of Arts & Sciences.
1969 – Construction Management program establish.
1969 – NCC Championship in Baseball.
1969 – NCC Championship in Golf.
1969 – Edgeley Branch, Experiment Station closed.
1969 – Livestock Judging Team places first at Fort Worth, TX, competition.
1970 – NDSU becomes statewide sponsor for VISTA.
1970 – Mrs. Richard Nixon & daughter, Tricia visit NDSU.
1970 – NCC Championship in Football.
1970 – Football – National Championship.
1971 - Thorson Maintenance Center.
1971 - Old Main remodeling.
1971 - Minard Hall remodeling.
1971 - Memorial Union addition.
1971 - Development Foundation created.
1971 - Auxiliary Enterprises building.
1971 - Prairie State Company formed.
1971 – West Dining Center.
1971 – NDSU-Bottineau Branch established (till 1996).
1971 – Auxiliary Enterprises building constructed.
1971 – NCC Men's Championship in Basketball.
1971 – NCC Championship on Indoor & Outdoor Track.
1972, June – Prairie Stage.
1972 - Preliminary steps taken in creating College of University Studies.
1972 – 3rd High-rise dormitory constructed (Seim Hall).
1973 - Little Country Theater takes a 9-week USO tour.
1973 - Diagnostic Lab for Vet. Sciences & Microbiology.
1973 - Family Life Center (Katherine Kilbourne Burgum Family Life Center).
1973 - President's Agricultural Club - November 1973.
1976 - Carillon in Ladd Hall.
1977 - Architecture Quonset - Fall 1977.
1977 - Central Grasslands Research Station created - Stutsman & Kidder counties.
1980 - Library addition completed
1981 - Land Reclamation Research Center established at Mandan - develop and disseminate technology for restoring the productivity of lands drastically disturbed by strip mining.
1982 - Bison Bidders Bowl begins – October.
1983 - Northern Crops Institute organized.
1987 – 4th high-rise dormitory constructed (Pavek Hall).
1988 - 7th NCAA Football title.
1988-89 - Julie Albertson, first female student body president.
1992 - Plans for new college: Human Development and Education.
1992 - Lawrence Welk musical arrangements (ca. 10,000) & memorabilia donated.
1993 - Bison women win 2 nd NCAA Division II National Basketball Championship.