Harold M. Rudd, brother of Peter A. Rudd, was born October 22, 1875 in Norway. He came to America with his parents in 1882, first settling in Fargo.
Harold married MagDelin Schwartz on May 3, 1908 in Fargo. They had two children, Delin and Velva.
Harold operated a studio in Fargo on his own for a short time around 1907-1908 as evidenced by a wedding portrait with his studio imprint on the mount. Harold had learned the photography trade from Hans T. Hansen and went into business with him in 1909 at 230 Broadway.
Prior to his time in Fargo, he operated studios in the North Dakota towns of Esmond, Buxton, Reynolds, and at Crookston and Halstad, Minnesota.
One photograph places him in Reynolds in 1897, and a Cooperstown, N.D. newspaper in 1900 states Rudd of Halstad opened temporarily a photo gallery there. Harold’s main line of business was as a musician. At the time that he was a photographer, his wife would run the studio while he was out performing.
He served as orchestra leader at the Grand and Orpheum theaters in Fargo. He was conductor of the Fargo Civic Orchestra from 1931 to 1937. He also taught music at Concordia College and at North Dakota Agricultural College, where he organized the first band. He died on January 14, 1960.