T. Grosz was born in New Leipzig, North Dakota on March 22, 1906.†
He came to Fargo in 1926 with the intention of joining
the U.S. Navy, but instead he became interested in photography.†
On May 1, 1927 he married Hazel Hammer of Fertile, Minnesota.† They had six children.
his first few years in Fargo, he worked on an ice crew until his
business was able to support itself. His first studio was located
in the basement of his home at 1009 South 4th Street
in Fargo. In
1936 he moved his studio to the basement of the Herbst Department
1937 he moved his business over to Moorhead, Minnesota where he
bought the Flaten-Oloye Studio at 405 Center Avenue.† He
once again moved his studio to 610 Center Avenue in 1942.†
It remained at this site until it was destroyed by fire
on October 30, 1967.
irreplaceable negative files were lost in this fire, including
many historic glass negatives belonging to O.E. Flaten.† A new studio was constructed at 202 8th Street South.†
In 1967, Richardís son David became a partner with his
father, and he took over the business in 1970.† Richard Grosz died on June 28, 1972.