History of schools at Fort Yates, North Dakota
More InformationShow full item record
Typed carbon copy of manuscript concerning the schools at Fort Yates, N.D. from 1877 through the 1940s. Includes two parts, the first entitled "History of education at Fort Yates, North Dakota" (6 leaves) which describes the Indian boarding school, also known as the Fort Yates Industrial School, which opened in 1877, later administrated by the Sisters of St. Benedict, finally by the local school district. It was closed briefly from 1934 to 1936, and began admitting white students in the 1940s. It includes ten photographs of school buildings, early students, and teachers. The second part, entitled "Public schools in Fort Yates, North Dakota," (2 leaves) mentions schools for white students with names of early faculty and describes some of the buildings.