We enrich teaching, learning, and research to advance innovation and academic excellence.
To create a culture of access and innovation that enhances the student experience and supports the university’s land-grant mission.
NDSU Libraries Strategic Plan 2022-2024
In early 2021, NDSU launched its Strategic Plan for 2021-2026. As the next step in the strategic planning process, in September 2021 all colleges were asked to align their current strategic plans with NDSU’s new plan by the end of fall semester; the Provost asked that the Libraries follow the same timeline. In order to keep the Libraries’ strategic planning schedule in alignment with NDSU’s, we chose to do two successive 3-year plans.
Our new strategic plan includes updated mission and vision statements and the goal categories listed in the NDSU Strategic Plan 2021-2026. Over the course of the 2021 fall semester, working groups from our Library Management Council drafted new mission and vision statements and goals, subgoals, and action items for each category, then identified champions, implementation plans, and assessment methods for each action item. In order to give all Libraries staff the opportunity to have input into the new strategic plan, department heads were asked to meet with their staff once the first draft was completed. The draft of the strategic plan was then discussed at our November all-staff meeting; further input from the Libraries’ staff was gathered via a Qualtrics survey and incorporated into the final draft in December. The Libraries will implement its Strategic Plan 2022-2024 in January 2022.
GOAL: Diversity, Inclusivity, and Respect
Create and maintain an open and collegial environment to promote inclusivity and diversity as a cornerstone of education, research, and outreach.
- Continuously improve the Libraries’ physical and virtual spaces and services for students, faculty, staff, and all stakeholders, with a focus on underrepresented groups on campus.
- Design and implement additional programming, instruction, outreach opportunities, and policies that uphold inclusivity, diversity, respect, and connection.
GOAL: Student Success and Achievement
Provide transformational experiences for students from diverse backgrounds through high-quality education and opportunities for personal and professional development.
- Improve our students’ academic success with outcome-based, experiential learning opportunities.
- Provide students opportunities for personal and professional development to support their life and career goals.
- Foster a supportive environment focused on all students’ well-being.
GOAL: Research and Creative Activity
Advance NDSU’s stature as a nationally and internationally recognized research university, engage in transformative research and creative activity, and increase the quality and quantity of scholarly activities to generate new insights and knowledge that will benefit the state and address central challenges of our global future.
- Increase the Libraries’ commitment to support sustainable research growth.
- Integrate and strengthen support for Research and Creative Activity.
- Support and ensure high-quality research education for postdoctoral fellows, graduate, and undergraduate students.
GOAL: Education, Extension, and Outreach
Provide innovative, student-centered education and conduct transformative research that impacts the state through meaningful outreach.
- Increase the use of innovative, student-centered, and inclusive instructional methods and delivery options.
- Expand and strengthen technology-rich services in the Libraries to support education, research, and outreach.
- Broaden partnerships within and outside NDSU to address the educational, cultural, and information needs of North Dakota and the region.
- Increase public awareness of unique resources and provide access to research and resources to benefit North Dakota and the region.
GOAL: Resource Planning and Development
Support and enhance innovation and excellence through strategic investments in sustainable infrastructure.
- Prioritize Libraries resources for institutional effectiveness based on strategic plan initiatives.
- Develop and implement a Libraries-wide strategy for technology, data, and resource access that improves student education and experiences and enhances research capabilities.
- Develop and implement a fundraising strategy for the Libraries.