At the age of 33, Horace E. Stockbridge was the youngest and first president of North Dakota Agricultural College (NDAC). He was born May 19, 1857, in Hadley, Mass. He attended Massachusetts Agricultural College, where he earned his degree in 1878. In 1880 he served as assistant chemist for the USDA, and in 1881 he was an instructor at Massachusetts Agricultural College. He did his graduate work in agricultural chemistry at Boston University, and earned his Ph.D. from the University of Goettingen, Germany, in 1884.
Following his studies, he was an associate professor of chemistry at Massachusetts Agricultural College from 1884-85. Stockbridge was employed as professor of chemistry and geology at the Japanese Imperial College of Agriculture and Engineering from 1885 to 1889 and was also chief chemist for the Japanese government for the latter two years. Prior to coming to Fargo, Stockbridge was director of the Experiment Station at Purdue University in 1889.
Stockbridge was given the position of president of NDAC and director of the Experiment Station in 1890. While at NDAC, he was responsible for selecting the location of the college, appointing instructors, construction of buildings and organization of the Experiment Station. Stockbridge instituted special short winter courses for farmers in agriculture and related sciences, which were the first of their kind in the nation.
Due to political reason, he left NDAC in 1893 and moved to Americus, Ga. A new men’s residence hall was built in 1957 on the NDAC campus and named in honor of President Stockbridge. Stockbridge died Oct. 30, 1903, in Atlanta, Ga.
James B. Power was born in New York and educated in Massachusetts. He studied civil engineering and served as surveyor and civil engineer for several railroads. He was deputy state treasurer for the state of Minnesota for four years. In the 1880s he worked for the Northern Pacific Railway as chief clerk, and later became land commissioner. Power aided in securing land from the Northern Pacific Railway for Island Park in Fargo. Later, he was also land commissioner for the Great Northern Railway, where he was instrumental in selling and allotting up thousands of acres to bonanza farmers in the Red River Valley. Power retired in 1886 and settled on a farm in Richland County, where he developed purebred livestock.
Power was appointed by the governor to the NDAC Board of Trustees. The Stockbridge administration was terminated at NDAC in 1893, and Power, along with H. R. Miller, was accused of misappropriation of funds. The two were charged with using the college as a market for goods from their own farms, and they were removed and replaced by Gov. Shortridge. However, a court decision held that the original members of the board were entitled to hold their positions until the end of their term in 1895. During the last two years of his term, Power was acting president of NDAC. Power resigned on June 25, 1895.
John H. Worst was born in a log cabin in Ohio on Dec. 23, 1850. He alternated attending college with teaching in district schools and received an honorary LL.D. degree from Ashland College. He homesteaded in Emmons County, Dakota Territory in 1883. There, he was elected county superintendent of schools for six years. He was elected state senator in 1889 and served two terms. Worst became lieutenant governor of North Dakota in 1894 and presided over that year's senate session.
Worst was appointed president of NDAC in 1895. Although Worst was not the first president of NDAC, he is regarded as the "Father of NDAC." A considerable amount of progress was made during Worst's administration. The number of students steadily increased and the staff increased threefold. Worst was successful in obtaining money from Andrew Carnegie in 1905 for building a campus library. Ten new buildings were constructed on campus and gardens and trees were planted. Political reasons are cited for Worst's retirement from NDAC in March of 1916. The Board of Regents named him president emeritus on April 5, 1919.
After leaving NDAC, Worst was editor for the New Rockford Daily State Center for one year. From 1919 to 1923 he served as state commissioner of immigration and then retired. John Worst died Sept 25, 1945, in San Marino, Calif.
The son of John and Rosilla (Locke) Ladd, Edwin Freemont Ladd was born at Starks, Maine, on Dec. 13, 1859. He graduated from Somerset Academy, Athens Maine, and the University of Maine in 1884 where he studied chemistry.
President Horace E. Stockbridge asked Professor Ladd to become professor of chemistry at NDAC and chemist for the North Dakota Agricultural Experiment Station in 1890. During his tenure at NDAC, Professor Ladd served as chemist, dean of the School of Chemistry and Pharmacy, and became president of the institution in 1916 where he served until being elected to the United States Senate in 1921. Professor Ladd was most noted for his work in the area of food adulteration and the pure food laws. In 1902 he was appointed State Food Commissioner, a position he held until 1921.
Ladd died unexpectedly on June 22, 1925, in Baltimore, Md. Mrs. Ladd continued living in the East and she died Aug. 1, 1958. They were buried at Glenwood, Md., cemetery. The NDAC Chemistry Building was named Ladd Hall in honor of President E. F. Ladd in 1952.
Edward S. Keene was born at Rock Island, Ill., Oct. 8, 1864. He earned both his Bachelor of Science in engineering in 1890, and his Master's of Engineering in 1912 from the University of Illinois. He remained at the University of Illinois where he taught mechanical engineering from 1890-1892. He joined the North Dakota Agricultural College in 1892 as head of the Department of Physics and Engineering. He organized military training on campus in 1895 and served as captain with two other instructors serving as lieutenants. He was named dean of the School of Mechanic Arts in 1918. When President Ladd in 1921 resigned to take his Senate seat, Professor Keene served as acting president. Dean Keene resumed the deanship when President Coulter was appointed in 1921. Due to poor health, Keene resigned in 1926. He died Aug. 12, 1928.
John Lee Coulter was born April 16, 1881, in East Grand Forks, Minn. He earned his bachelor’s (1904) and master’s (1905) degrees from the University of North Dakota and his doctorate (1908) from the University of Wisconsin. He was awarded a doctor of laws degree by the University of North Dakota in 1922 and an honorary doctorate from NDAC in May 1950.
He taught agricultural economics at the University of Minnesota from 1908-1910. Coulter accepted the presidency at North Dakota Agriculture College in 1921. He remained at NDAC until July 1929 when he was appointed chief economist for the United States Tariff Commission by President Herbert Hoover. During his tenure at NDAC, college enrollment tripled from 400 to 1,300. Coulter was appointed expert assistant to George Peek, special adviser to President Roosevelt on World Trade in July 1934.
While serving as president of NDAC he was a member of the American Legion, Rotary Club, Fargo Chamber of Commerce, Greater North Dakota Association, Phi Beta Kappa, Phi Kappa Phi, Alpha Zeta and Phi Delta Theta. He died on April 16, 1959, in Washington, D.C.
Archibald Ellsworth Minard was born in King's County, Nova Scotia, Jan. 18, 1878. He moved to the United States with his parents in 1889. Minard earned both bachelor's and master's degrees from Harvard University. He also studied at the University of Chicago, University of Wisconsin and Oxford University in England.
Minard became an instructor of English and philosophy at North Dakota Agricultural College (NDAC) in 1904. He was head of the English department and later served as Dean of the School of Applied Arts and Sciences from 1919 to 1949. Minard also served as acting president of NDAC from July to September 1929, after President Coulter resigned.
Minard died May 9, 1950, in Bethesda, Md. In his memory, friends and colleagues provided a memorial shelf of philosophy and science books in the NDAC library. The science building, which housed the School of Applied Arts and Sciences, was rededicated as Minard Hall on June 4, 1951.
John H. Shepperd was born on a farm in Lucas County, Iowa, Jan. 12, 1869. He was a graduate of Iowa Agricultural College and earned his bachelor's degree in agricultural science from Iowa State College in 1891. He did his graduate work in dairy at the University of Wisconsin and earned his Master of Science degree in agriculture in 1893. He was assistant editor of the Orange Judd Farmer, a weekly journal published in Chicago, for one year. He married Adele Frances Taylor July 3, 1895.
Shepperd was appointed professor of agriculture at NDAC and agriculturalist for the North Dakota Agricultural Experiment Station in 1893. In addition to conducting research at the Experiment Station, he taught mathematics. He was named dean of the School of Agriculture and vice director of the Experiment Station in 1905. He was dean of the School of Agriculture and professor of agriculture from 1906-1915. He was also the chairman of the livestock department in 1914. Shepperd was head of the Department of Animal Husbandry from 1915 to 1929. Shepperd was named acting president of NDAC in 1929, and the position was made permanent in March 1930. This was a tumultuous time on campus. The stock market crash of 1929 resulted in reduced staff, salaries and operating budgets. Because of differences of opinion between Shepperd and the Board of Administration, Shepperd resigned and was named president emeritus in July 1937. He received an honorary doctorate from Iowa State College in 1928.
Shepperd was president of the Fargo Kiwanis Club for several years. He also had many interests regarding livestock. In 1910 he participated in the New Salem Breeding Circuit. In 1927 and 1929 he was grand champion of the International Livestock Exposition. From 1906 to 1938 he was the supervisor of the Collegiate Livestock Judging Contest at the International Livestock Exposition. His portrait was hung in the Chicago Saddle and Sirloin Club in 1921. He died Jan. 22, 1939.
John C. West was born in Clearwater, Minn., on December 25, 1885. He earned a Bachelor of Arts from Fargo College, Fargo, N.D., in 1915, and Master of Science and an Education Doctorate from the University of North Dakota in 1926 and 1930, respectively. He was a rural school teacher from 1904-07. He was superintendent of various village schools in Minnesota and North Dakota from 1907-1918; superintendent of City School, Sauk Centre, Minn., from 1918-1920; Bemidji, Minn., from 1920-1929; and Grand Forks, N.D., from 1929-1933. He was named president of the University of North Dakota in 1933 until he resigned in 1954. From October 1937 to August 1938, he was acting president of NDAC as well as president of the University of North Dakota. West returned to his presidency at UND, after a new president was appointed at NDAC.
Frank L. Eversull was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, April 19, 1892. He attended McCormick Theological Seminary and Washington University and was ordained a Presbyterian minister in 1917. He earned his bachelor’s (1920) and master’s (1927) degrees from the University of Chicago and his doctorate in school administration from Yale (1934). Eversull received an honorary Doctor of Divinity degree from Marietta College in 1937. He was the principal and instructor at Columbia High School in Columbia, Ill. (1913-1916) and Troy High School, Troy, Ill. (1916-1921). He was an instructor in psychology and bible at Presbyterian Training School, Chicago, from 1921-1922. He was principal at the Woodward School in St. Louis from 1922-1928, and then principal at East St. Louis High School in East St. Louis, Ill., from 1928-1933. While working on his doctorate at Yale, he was an instructor in education from 1933-1934. Eversull was named president of Huron College, Huron, S.D., in 1934 until assuming the presidency at North Dakota Agricultural College in August 1938.
Eversull's presidency at NDAC followed in the wake of the Purge of 1937. His first major task was to regain accreditation for the college. He was successful and NDAC was reaccredited on March 23, 1939. Other dilemmas Eversull dealt with were shortages and other problems as a result of World War II, such as the return of veterans which resulted in overcrowding on campus. He aided in establishing several programs at NDAC: Officer Candidate School, the Air Corps Administration School and the Army special training program. He resigned in May of 1946 and went to Seoul, Korea, where he was chief of colleges for the 24th US Corp Command for eight months.
Eversull was a Mason and a Shriner, a member of the National Education Association, Phi Gamma Mu and the American Association of Land Grant Colleges and Universities. He was also vice president of the North Central Association for several years. Eversull died in September of 1964.
Charles A. Sevrinson was born May 6, 1898, in Reynolds, N.D. He earned an advanced diploma from the State Teacher's College at Mayville in 1921, a Bachelor of Arts from UND in 1924, and a Master of Science from UND in 1930. He taught at the rural school at Reynolds, N.D., from 1918-19, and was superintendent of Glenburn Public school from 1921-23. He was principal of Williston Junior High School from 1924-28.
Sevrinson came to NDAC in 1928 as an instructor in history and attained the rank of assistant professor of history in 1936. He was named professor of education, dean of men and assistant to the president in 1938. He worked with the college's army programs from 1942-44. He was acting president of NDAC during June and July 1946, following the resignation of Frank Eversull. Sevrinson was named dean of students in 1948 and continued to serve as assistant to the president until 1959. He served as dean of students and professor of education from 1959 until his retirement in 1962. In 1969, one of the first two high-rise residence halls was named in honor of Dean Sevrinson. He lived in Fargo until his death on March 17, 1986.
John Harwood Longwell was born July 11, 1895, in Spalding, Mo. He earned his bachelor’s (1918) and his master’s (1920), in agriculture from the University of Missouri. He earned his Ph.D. from the University of Illinois in 1941. He was an assistant in animal husbandry at the University of Missouri from 1919-20. He was an Instructor in animal husbandry at Washington State University from 1920-21. He worked for West Virginia University on two occasions, first from 1921-23 as an Instructor in animal husbandry and then again from 1927-37 as an assistant professor of animal husbandry. He also work for the University of Illinois twice, first from 1924-27 as an assistant and instructor in animal husbandry and then from 1937-41 as an instructor and assistant professor of animal husbandry. During his tenure at the University of Illinois, he also was superintendent of pastures (1938-40) and assistant to dean and director, Agricultural Experiment Station (1940-41).
He became chief of the division of animal Industry at NDAC in 1941, and in 1945 the associate director of the Agricultural Experiment Station. He was elected president of the North Dakota Academy of Science in 1945. He was appointed president of NDAC in 1946 and resigned in 1948 to accept a position as dean of agriculture and director of the Experiment Station at the University of Missouri, where he could work where he was trained and continue his agricultural research. Longwell was honored at NDSU’s commencement in 1973.
Frederic Samuel Hultz was named president of the North Dakota Agricultural College (NDAC) on Aug. 24, 1948. He was a native of Iowa and earned his bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees from Iowa State College. His fields were animal production, genetics and agricultural economics. Prior to coming to NDAC, he was a professor at Pennsylvania State College. He also was a professor, head of the Department of Animal Production and presidential assistant at the University of Wyoming. He was author of three books: "Range Beef Production," "Range Sheep and Wool," and "Corriedale Sheep."
Soon after arriving at NDAC, Hultz announced a 10-year building improvement program for the college. After requesting a substantial contribution toward the program's completion from the State Legislature in 1949, NDAC received its largest appropriation ever. Several building and remodeling projects resulted. During Hultz's presidency, more than 30 buildings were constructed, earning Hultz the nickname, "brick and mortar president." Complementary to his construction accomplishments was his policy of re-naming campus buildings that before had either generic names like "Science Hall" or no names at all. Campus beautification, which was another of Hultz's objectives, led to specifications regarding landscape architecture and street arrangement.
While the Hultz administration was extremely successful in terms of campus development, it was not without controversy. A rift in faculty-administration relations was particularly pronounced from 1953-56.
Perhaps the greatest single occurrence at NDAC while Hultz was in office came during his final months as president. Much to his excitement, voters made possible the name change from "North Dakota Agricultural College" to "North Dakota State University." Four months later, in March 1961, Hultz announced his resignation, effective that summer, citing poor health as the reason. He died, still in office, in April.
Arlon G. Hazen was born Feb. 20, 1920, in Stillwater, Ok. He earned his bachelor's from Oklahoma State in 1940 and his master's from Iowa State in 1941. He was an instructor at the University of Arkansas from 1941-42. He served as a Lieutenant Colonel in the Corps of Engineers, U.S. Army, European Theater, from 1942-46.
Hazen first joined NDAC in 1946 as an irrigation engineer at the Williston Branch Station. He was superintendent of the Williston Branch Station from January 1946 to November 1951. He was named assistant to the director of the Agricultural Experiment Station in November 1951. He then was acting dean of the School of Agriculture and director of the Agricultural Experiment Station from October 1956 to May 1957 when he was named dean and director. Hazen was acting president of NDSU from June 1961 to January 1962. He received Blue Key's Doctor of Service Award in 1966.
Hazen resigned from NDSU in October 1978 and assumed the role of regional director of the North Central Association of Agricultural Experiment Stations in November 1978. He died January 1979 at his lake home on Viking Bay of Big Cormorant Lake, Minn.
Herbert R. Albrecht was born in 1909 in Wisconsin. He earned his bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees from the University of Wisconsin (Madison). He served on the faculty of Auburn University from 1936-44. He then joined the agronomy department at Purdue in 1944 and stayed there until accepting a position at Penn State. At Penn State he chaired the agronomy department and was named director of Extension in 1953, where he stayed until coming to NDSU in 1962.
Albrecht established strong programs in the arts, humanities, music, mathematics, English, and speech and theatre. He established improved retirement and insurance benefits for faculty and staff. One of his priorities was to build a winning football team, which he did. Albrecht resigned in November 1967 to accept the position of director of the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, Ibadan, Nigeria. He died in May 1992. West College Street was renamed Albrecht Boulevard in his memory in September 1992.
Laurel D. Loftsgard was the first NDSU alumnus to serve as president of NDSU. He was born in Hoople, N.D., in 1926. He served in the armed forces after graduating high school and again during his collegiate career. Loftsgard earned his bachelor's degree in agricultural economics from NDAC in 1954, and master’s and doctoral degrees from Iowa State.
Loftsgard returned to NDAC as an assistant professor of agricultural economics in 1958 and was appointed vice president for academic affairs in 1966. He was appointed acting president in January 1968 and made permanent by the Board of Higher Education six months later. During his presidency, enrollment increased by more than 50 percent and building projects worth more than $30 million were undertaken. Loftsgard spearheaded creation of the NDSU Development Foundation and many other achievements. He received Blue Key's Doctor of Service Award in 1980.
President Loftsgard died of cancer in early October 1987 after serving as NDSU's president for 19 years. The new crop and weed sciences building was dedicated L.D. Loftsgard Hall in 1991.
Robert D. Koob was born in Graetlinger, Iowa, in 1941. He earned his bachelor's in science education from the University of Northern Iowa and his doctorate in chemistry from the University of Kansas. He served as chairman of the chemistry department at NDSU from 1973-77 and again in 1979 and 1980. Koob was named dean of the College of Science and Mathematics at NDSU in 1981 and vice president for academic affairs in 1985. He also served as director of the North Dakota Water Resources Research Institute for 10 years.
Koob received the Doctor of Service Award from Blue Key National Honor Fraternity in 1987. He was appointed interim president of NDSU in 1987 after the death of President Laurel D. Loftsgard. Koob held the position until July 30, 1988, when James L. Ozbun was appointed president.
Koob resigned from NDSU in August 1990 and took the position of senior vice president for academic affairs at California Polytechnic Institute, San Luis Obispo.
Jim L. Ozbun, was born in Carson, N.D., near the family farm Sept. 3, 1936. When he graduated from Flasher High School in 1955, he had been president of both his junior and senior classes and had lettered in football, basketball and baseball. He graduated from NDAC in 1959 with a Bachelor of Science degree in soil science, earned his master’s in soil science from NDSU in 1961 and his doctorate from NC State in plant pathology in 1964.
Ozbun was named president of North Dakota State University in May 1988. Although he took office Aug. 1, 1988, he was not formally inaugurated until Sept. 14, 1989. Prior to returning to NDSU, Ozbun was the dean of the College of Agriculture and Home Economics at Washington State University. He also held positions at Kansas State, University of Minnesota and Cornell University.
During Ozbun’s tenure at NDSU (1988-95), his accomplishments were numerous and included assisting with gaining approval for the Fargodome, supporting and encouraging development of NDSU Staff Senate, creation of the NDSU Biotechnology Institute and the NDSU Institute for Business and Industry Development (IBID), leading the effort for building the Industrial Agricultural and Computer Center (IACC), and spearheading NDSU’s Century II: Charting the Course long-range plan. He was instrumental in creating the Employee Recognition Program, the Pharm.D. program, EPSCoR and the statewide faculty tour. He advocated cooperative programs with the North Dakota State College of Science and Valley City State University. He encouraged NDSU’s Development Foundation to organize their $20 million fund drive, promoted the Spring Gala Pops Concerts and supported the restoration of the Lincoln Log Cabin on the top floor of Old Main.
After retiring from NDSU in 1995, Ozbun and his wife purchased a small cattle ranch in the Dickinson, N.D., area where they raised registered Hereford cattle and registered Quarter horses. He has been active with Boy Scouts of America and Rotary International.
Thomas R. Plough is a native of Traverse City, Mich., and earned his bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees from Michigan State University. Prior to coming to NDSU, he served in faculty and administrative positions at Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, N.Y., for 23 years. He became president of NDSU July 1, 1995. He left NDSU to become president of Assumption College, Worcester, Mass., June 30, 1998.
Among Plough’s accomplishments at NDSU was the establishment of the Skills and Technology Training Center, a partnership with the North Dakota State College of Science (NDSCS), that provides training for the area’s business and industrial community. During his presidency, Newman Outdoor Field was completed, plans were finalized for Ehly Hall and construction began on the Alumni Center. Through Plough’s leadership, NDSU students, faculty and staff played an important role in sandbagging during the Red River flood in spring 1997.
Allan G. Fischer grew up in Staten Island, N.Y. He earned his B.A. in chemistry from Waynesburg College in Waynesburg, Penn., in 1956. He earned his master's degree from Oklahoma State University in 1961 and his Ph.D. in chemistry from Indiana University in 1967. Fischer held a postdoctoral appointment in chemistry at the University of Minnesota from 1966-68. He then joined the faculty of North Dakota State University as an assistant professor of biochemistry in 1968 and became a full professor in 1980. Fischer received the Outstanding Academic Adviser Award from the College of Science and Mathematics in 1985 and the Blue Key Distinguished Educator Award in 1989. He was named dean of the College of Science and Mathematics in 1986, served as interim vice president for academic affairs from 1990-91 and interim president of university advancement from 1992-93. He became the director of the Governor's School in Science and Mathematics in 1990. Fischer served as interim president of NDSU from 1998-99, and retired in summer 1999.
Joseph A. Chapman took over the duties as NDSU’s president in June 1999. Before coming to NDSU, Chapman was senior vice president and provost at Montana State University (Bozeman), and served as professor of biology. Prior to joining Montana State in 1996, he was dean of the College of Natural Resources at Utah State University. He worked at the University of Maryland, College Park, advancing to head the Appalachian Environmental Laboratory, from 1969-83. He also was a wildlife biologist for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service from 1965-67. Chapman earned his bachelor's degree, master's degree and doctorate from Oregon State University (Corvallis).
During President Chapman’s tenure, the number of doctoral programs doubled, research dollars increased to more than $100 million and NDSU’s Carnegie rankings moved to “Research University (high research activity).” He also embarked and guided dozens of remodeling projects throughout campus, and established a strong presence in downtown Fargo with Renaissance, Richard H. Barry and Klai Halls. During Chapman’s presidency, NDSU moved from Division II athletics to Division I in 2004.
Chapman traveled extensively in North Dakota and around the world, to enhance the connections vital to a successful university. Each summer he led a tour to various locations in the state called “Conversations Across the Land,“ to listen to citizens and share information about education and research at NDSU. Chapman resigned in 2009.
Richard A. Hanson was appointed interim president of NDSU Oct. 23, 2009. Prior to returning to NDSU, Hanson was president of Waldorf College (Iowa), and vice president for academic affairs and dean at Augustana College (S.D.) from 1995-2005. He also held positions at California State University (Chico), and his previous positions at NDSU were associate vice president for academic Affairs and interim vice president for academic affairs.
After leaving NDSU in June 2010, he was named president of Bemidji State University (Bemidji, Minn.) and took office July 12, 2010. He also serves as president of Northwest Technical College.
Hanson earned both his bachelor’s (1971) and master’s (1974) degrees from NDSU and his doctorate (1980) from the University of California (Davis). In addition to playing football for NDSU, he spent two years playing for the New York Giants in the National Football League.
Dean L. Bresciani was named president of NDSU in May 2010. His first day on the job was June 15, 2010.
Prior to coming to NDSU, he was vice president for student affairs at Texas A&M from 2004-08 and continued serving as adjunct full professor in the Department of Education Administration and Human Resources Development. He was interim vice chancellor for student affairs at the University of North Carolina (Chapel Hill) from 2002-04. He also held positions with student affairs and residence life at the University of Nebraska (Kearney).
Bresciani earned his bachelor's degree in sociology from Humboldt State University, Arcata, Calif.; master's degree in college student personnel from Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio; and doctorate in higher education finance with a doctoral minor in economics from the University of Arizona, Tucson.