Below is a curated list of resources that provide a good place to start your research. To learn more about the Libraries’ resources and how to find the information you need, check out our Library DIY page or use the chat box in the lower right to chat with a librarian. You may also contact the Agricultural Sciences Librarian, Nicole Juve, to ask questions or to schedule a research consultation. Contact Nicole via email at email@example.com.
- Find Articles
Need to find the full text of a specific article? Want to see if we have online access to a specific journal? See How to Find Journals for instructions.
*Tip: If the library does not have the article you need, you can request it (for free) through Interlibrary Loan.
Need to find one or more articles on a topic? Try one of our databases! See a list of the most recommended databases for Animal and Veterinary Sciences at the bottom of this page or check out our lists of databases for Agriculture & Food Systems and for Veterinary Medicine & Technology.
*Tip: Looking for peer-reviewed, original research articles? The Finding and Identifying Original Research Articles in the Sciences guide has information that describes peer-review and characteristics of original research articles (so you know what to look for!).
Database Searching Tips
- How to Search Scopus and The Web of Science
- Setting Your Preferences in Google Scholar (to more easily access full text articles in your search results)
- How to Find Dissertations and Theses
- American Journal of Veterinary Research
- Animal: The International Journal of Animal Bioscience
- Animal Feed Science and Technology
- Animal Frontiers
- Animal Genetics
- Animal Reproduction Science
- Annual Review of Animal Biosciences
- Domestic Animal Endocrinology
- Genetics, Selection, Evolution
- Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association (JAVMA)
- Journal of Animal Science
- Journal of Dairy Science
- Poultry Science
- Veterinary Nursing Journal
- Find Books
Search for Books
Looking for new books? See our New Books in Agriculture, Food Systems, and Natural Resources page.
Looking for books by topic or title? Use the library search. This search will include results for more than just books. If you want to narrow the results to just books, select Books from the Resource Type filter along the right.
You can also search by author or title.
Find a Book on the Shelf
Can't find the book(s) you want? You can request books the library does not have through our Interlibrary Loan service (free to NDSU students, staff, and faculty) and we will try to obtain a copy for you to borrow.
Are there books you think should be available through the library? Contact the Agricultural Sciences Librarian at firstname.lastname@example.org to recommend materials for the library collections.
- Find Data and Statistics
A wide variety of search techniques can be employed to find data and a statistics you need for your research. For tips on finding, evaluating, and citing data and statistic, check out our Finding Data and Statistics guide.
Selected Resources for Animal Science Data and Statistics
- Ag Data Commons (USDA)
- Agricultural Research Service Programs Datasets (USDA-ARS)
- Census of Agriculture (USDA)
- Data.gov (data published by US government)
- Data.gov.uk (data published by UK government)
- FAOSTAT: Food and Agriculture Data (FAO)
- National Agricultural Statistics Service (USDA-NASS)
- UN Commodity Trade Statistics Database (UN Comtrade)
- USDA Open Data Catalog
- World Development Indicators (The World Bank)
- Find Government Information
Try a site search in Google so that all your search results will be from government websites. For example, if you are looking for information on palmer amaranth that is published or available on government websites, search for the following in Google: bovine tuberculosis site:.gov
You can also use a Google site search to search a specific website. For example, try: bovine tuberculosis site:aphis.usda.gov
See our Government Information Research Guide for more tips for finding government information as well as links to multiple resources.
Selected Government Websites
- Agricultural Animal Production (US EPA)
- Agricultural Research Service (ARS)
- Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS)
- Animal Products (USDA-ERS)
- Census of Agriculture (USDA)
- Center for Veterinary Medicine (US FDA)
- NDSU Extension -- Livestock information including tools, beef cattle, dairy cattle, sheep, animal biosecurity, nutrition and feeding, and more.
- National Agricultural Library -- Animals and Livestock topics page
- National Institute of Food and Agriculture - Animals topic page (NIFA)
- United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)
- Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE)
The Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE) is owned and administered by the AASVB. Information about eligibility, the submission process, scheduling our exam and more can be found on the VTNE Overview page for more . For online practice test information, sample questions, and review materials, check out their Study for the VTNE page.
We have test-prep books available in the library (see below). You can also search the library catalog for books on topics covered in the exam. (For a list of topics, see the Domains, Tasks, and Knowledge Statements document available here.)
eBooks Print Books
- Guides, Handbooks, Manuals, etc.
- Other Resources and Tools
- Health Pets, Healthy People (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Pet Care (ASPCA)
- Pet Health (MedlinePlus, U.S. National Library of Medicine)
- National Association of Veterinary Technicians (NAVTA)
- American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA)
- American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA)
- American Association of Food Safety and Public Health Veterinarians (AAFSPHV)
Other Selected Resources